cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to migrate VSS to new set of chassis

Matt McFarlane
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have a pair of 6509 chassis setup with VSS. Only have the Sup and two line cards in each chassis. Would like to replace with a new pair of 6504E chassis. Is it possible to fail one chassis at a time and migrate to the new 6504E? If so any suggested documentation for doing so?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the new 6504 has the exact same hardware and software i.e. sup, DFC, PFC, etc...  You could bring down the current stand-by 6509, and than configure one of the 6504 the same as the stand-by switch and try to bring up the new 6504 as the stand-by with primary still being 6509. If this works you can repeat the same for the 6509.  I have never done it, so you may face some unknown challenges.

HTH

I am planning to reuse the hardware from the 6509 in the 6504E, so it would be identical. However location of the sup would be in a different location since they are currently in slot 5. Hoping that this can be done with little to no down time, but if necessary could schedule a longer outage. Would shut down the 6509 migrate the cards to the 6504E and reconfigure VSS on the new 6504E. What would you recommend?

Thanks.

The location of the sup does not matter, as you can mix 6509 with 6504, 6513, etc...

I would have a longer outage window and than migrate the line card and configure VSS and bring them back up.

You can copy and paste most of the common config from the old set.  Besides, the vss config itself is not much.

Also, the reboot time for a set of 6500 is about 10 Minutes.  So, if you have a 2 hour window, you should be able to finish it.

Good Luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card