Views
Helpful
Replies

Power supply failure on 4948 switches

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

We have a switch with part number WS-C4948-10GE  and the power supply "PWR-C49-300AC" has failed.

However, in Cisco Hardware installation guide, i dont see any removal and replacement guide for the power supply

though i see it for 4948E switches.

Is the power supply field-replaceable?

If no, should we replace the entire switch or should we raise a TAC in this regards

Thanks a lot

Gautam

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's can be hot-swapped.

Power Supply Redundancy for Nonstop Operation
The Cisco Catalyst 4948 provides reliability for critical applications, with 1+1 redundant hot-swappable internal AC or DC power supplies. The 1+1 power supply design provides A-to-B failover when power supplies are connected to different circuits. AC and DC power supplies can be mixed in the same unit for outstanding deployment flexibility. The Cisco Catalyst 4948 also has a hot-swappable fan tray with four redundant fans for additional serviceability and availability.

Please don't forget to rate useful post.  Thanks.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear friends,

We have a switch with part number WS-C4948-10GE  and the power supply "PWR-C49-300AC" has failed.

However, in Cisco Hardware installation guide, i dont see any removal and replacement guide for the power supply

though i see it for 4948E switches.

Is the power supply field-replaceable?

If no, should we replace the entire switch or should we raise a TAC in this regards

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Hi Gautam,

It is not hot swappable but check out the below link for more information

http://www.ciscosystems.cd/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4900/4948/04instal.html

If both power supply has gone fault then raise a RMA for the same i would suggest.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Dear Leo and Ganesh,

Thanks a lot for your responses. However, my question was not relating to hot swappable. My question was if i can replace them through the normal RMA procedures as there are no instructions in the hardware installation guide relating to replacing and installing power supplies.

However, i see a separate section on the power supply replacement procedure in 4948E switches.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Hi Gautam

The PSU should be the same

There is part number for the PSU

PWR-C49-300AC/2Catalyst 4948 300-Watt AC Power Supply RedundantC

$500

HTH

Reza

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card