cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Private Vlan

bindong.shi
Level 1
Level 1

we configured private vlan on the access switch, which is CAT6509, and on the switch, there are some other normal vlan, the CAT6509 uplink connects to firewall, which is also default gateway for all the vlans. there link  between firewall and switch are trunk link.

we want to allow all the vlans, including private and normal vlan all can go through the same link, it is possible on CAT6509? I did a search, I found there was a command "switchport private-vlan trunk allowed vlan" only available on CAT4500.  Is there any solution to implement on CAT6509?

Please find the attached network diagram.

thanks.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is your IOS version of the 6500?

Private VLAN Catalyst Switch Support Matrix

thanks for your quick reply.

I think my problem is not which IOS I am using on CAT6, the problem is the command switchport private-vlan trunk allowed vlan even not available in the CAT6 platform, my question to you is any other solution avaliable for me to configure trunk link between cat6 and firewall, so that both private vlan traffic and normal vlan traffic can go through.

switchport private-vlan trunk allowed vlan

That command line is for the 4500.  6500 uses a different method.

Private VLANs (PVLANs)

thanks again.

I know CAT6 can support Private VLAN, I have gone through that link you sent to me. My question is whether CAT6 can be implemented private vlan in our specical network (as you see the attached network diagram).

you mention 6500 uses a different method, can you elaborate to me which that is?

thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card