cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

private vlans across multiple switches

Computime SCC
Level 1
Level 1

I am aware that private-vlans are not supported on edge switches like 2960 series - so my question is would it be possibel to ceate private vlans on say just the core switch which would be a 3570 or 4506 that supports private vlans and then just trunk these to the edge like normal vlans?

what I need to achive is to have edge port not able to communicate to each other even across switches - which cannot be done using 'protected' port so need the private vlan feature

7 Replies 7

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I hope these document help to understand more :

http://blog.ine.com/2008/01/31/understanding-private-vlans/

http://blog.alwaysthenetwork.com/tutorials/private-vlan-tutorial/

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

Sandeep/anyone, can you please comment on the ability to configure 'port security'  on 3750 private vlan edge interfaces ?

I have read versions of yes and no, so what is it ??? 

Hi Ksherwood,

There is no difference in switchportsecurity it works  same as nor mal access port configuration.

Regards

Praveen

Praveen AR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Private vlan works only in  switches with vtp transparent mode,You have to manually create private vlans on both switches.And make both port isolated.

Hello Praveen,

To be precise, Private VLANs are supported with VTPv3, and recent IOSes on 2960/3560/3750 support VTPv3. However, if running VTPv1 or VTPv2, you are correct that the switches must be put into Transparent mode (which is a best practice, anyway).

Best regards,

Peter

It is due to the particular IOS I am running,  C3750-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(25)SEE

Port security isn't implemented for private VLANs with this IOS

SW1(config-if)#switchport port-security

Command rejected: FastEthernet1/0/1 is a pvlan host port

Later IOS, ie 12.2(53)SE would work and allow VTP version 3

Hi,

The 12.2(25)SEE is a very old IOS indeed (I guess from 2007 or so). I would recommend running 12.2(55)SE6. Avoid 12.2(58) and newer - they do not appear to be stable or tend to consume CPU/memory excessively.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card