Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with NAT on Cisco 897VA Router

martino-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with what should be a basic configuration of PAT on an 897VA Router. Portions of the config are below:

interface Dialer0
ip address negotiated
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly in
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache
dialer pool 1
dialer-group 1

interface Vlan20
ip address 192.168.20.2 255.255.255.252
ip nat inside
ip virtual-reassembly in

ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer0 overload

access-list 1 permit any log.

After this configuration, I don't get any NAT translations on the router. After running some debugs, i see the message below:

NAT-SymDB: DB is either not enabled or not initiated.

I'm yet to find any good explanation for that error message.

I can see hits on the Access-list so traffic is definitely getting to the router. Really not sure of what else the issue here could be and would appreciate some assistance. 

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi try ip nat enable instead of inside and outside

To be sure, do you have the static route configured ?

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0 Dialer0

and

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

You might just want to reboot the device...

martino-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

After a lot of troubleshooting, disabling cef fixed the issue and NAT now appears to be working. I can't understand why that is the case. In my opinion, this may be a bug. But yea....for anyone who may encounter something similar, that appears to be a workaround

Champion. Had the same damned problem, disabling cef (no ip cef) on a 2911 solved this issue for me.
Thanks a heap - stars given.

Hello,

--> access-list 1 permit any log

The 'log' keyword at the end of the access list is the problem, it will cause all packets to be process switched, which effectively kills your NAT. After removing that keyword, you can enable CEF.

Georg makes a very good point about the impact of including the log parameter. +5 for that. I have also seen situations where using an access list for nat/pat which uses permit any has caused some issues. I would suggest changing the ACL so that it specifies the inside subnet(s). 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Oh, cool, will check that out. Thanks.

I can confirm you are very much correct.
Removed "log" from the ACL, re-enabled CEF, cleared the translation table, tested again and she's working a treat (translation table is back up again).
Thanks again, stars given.

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7
Hey

I have seen the same problem when the ACL is an Any ACL. try to make it match your actual inside networks and let us know how that goes.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card