cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems dedicating interface on router for management

Brett Tesdall
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, all, I've run into a problem and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, so hopefully one of you experts can point me in the right direction.

I'm installing a new Cisco 2911 and wanting to configure G0/2 as a dedicated interface for management.  Our management vlan is 1001 and is in the range 10.200.1.xxx.  I've given the interface an IP of 10.200.1.250 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0.  For configuration purposes, I've configured G0/1 to get a DHCP address from our general PC vlan 6.  The IP ranges for vlan 6 are 10.6.6.1-10.6.7.254.  The interface has picked up IP 10.6.7.214 with subnet mask 255.255.254.0.  Doing a "show ip route" confirms the subnets are visible and also that it found 10.3.3.200 on vlan 3 which is the DHCP server.

Both G0/1 and G0/2 are plugged into a stack of 2 3750-X switches on 1/0/5 and 1/0/6.  Port 1/0/5 is configured as an access port on vlan 6 and port 1/0/6 is configured as an access port on vlan 1001.

When both G0/1 and G0/2 are online, I can ping both addresses from my desktop computer which is at IP 10.6.6.140 and can SSH in on either IP and work with the device.  As soon as I set G0/1 to "no ip address", I lose all connectivity from my desktop.  However, if I get into the 3750-X stack, I can ping 10.200.1.250.  Also, if I get into our core switch, an older 3550 which is trunked to the 3750-X stack, I can still ping 10.200.1.250 successfully.  It's almost as if the packets aren't "turning the corner" onto the PC vlan for some reason.  I've tried a few different things like changing the port on the 3750-X for G0/2 to a trunk port, and also created a subinterface on G0/2, called G0/2.1001 in case it was a VLAN issue, but neither of those had any effect, and actually made the situation worse.

At the same time as I have this problem, connected to the same 3750-X stack, I have a Cisco 2504 Wireless LAN controller.  Port 1 on this device is used for management.  I've given it an address in the 10.200.1.xxx range and set the interface for VLAN 1001.  The port it's connected to on the 3750-X is configured as a trunk port, with 1001 as its native VLAN.  This device works perfectly from my desktop, and I'm able to get into its web interface with no problems.

Can anyone tell me where I might be going wrong?  I can provide configs, if needed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Can you explain why I had to go through this rigamaroll to make this work

The problem was that gi0/0 had an IP from vlan 6 so it is a directly connected route.

As soon as it went down your router had no route to that network.

And you couldn't just add a route because it was a directly connected network.

Actually you probably could have perhaps used a summary route but using a VRF is preferable because it isolates the management interface from the rest of the router in terms of routing which is really what you want to do.

A VRF is simply a virtual router within the same physical chassic which has it's own routing and forwarding table although it still shares the router resources with everything else.

Jon

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which device is routing for vlan 6 ?

What does the routing table look like on the 2911 when both interfaces are up and when only gi0/2 is up ?

Jon

The 3550 is the core switch and is doing all of the routing for all of our subnets and VLANs.

Oh, one more thing I did in the 2911 was attempt to put in static routes for the 10.200.1.xxx subnet, pointing both to the 3750-X stack and the 3550 as gateways, and a static route to the 10.6.6.xxx subnet.  Neither helped.

This is what "show ip route" shows when both interfaces are up:

Gateway of last resort is 10.6.6.1 to network 0.0.0.0

S*    0.0.0.0/0 [254/0] via 10.6.6.1
      10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 5 subnets, 3 masks
S        10.3.3.200/32 [254/0] via 10.6.6.1, GigabitEthernet0/1
C        10.6.6.0/23 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/1
L        10.6.7.214/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/1
C        10.200.1.0/24 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/2
L        10.200.1.250/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/2

After I take away the IP on G0/1, this is what "Show ip route" shows:

Gateway of last resort is not set

10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C        10.200.1.0/24 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/2
L        10.200.1.250/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/2

In the router config, I've put this in to try to address the issue:

ip route 10.6.6.0 255.255.254.0 10.6.6.1
ip route 10.200.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.200.1.11

but it doesn't appear to be working as intended.

If you go into config mode on the router will it take this command -

router(config)# ip vrf <name>  <-- name being whatever you want

Jon

Yes, it seemed to.  No errors.

That's good, it means we can put your management interface in it's own VRF which means we can use a default route for the gi0/1 interface that is not dependant on the main routing table.

If you already have a default route in the routing table then it does not matter, this new one is in it's own virtual routing table so they do not conflict.

So if it took that can you try add this -

router(config)# ip route vrf <name> 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.200.1.11

i'm assuming 10.200.1.11 is the SVI IP address on your 3550.

Also make sure you include the vrf part when you add the route otherwise it will be added to the global routing table and you don't want that.

If I takes that then do -

1) "sh ip route vrf <name>"  and you should see it there.

2)  then try pinging a vlan 6 IP address with this command -

"ping vrf <name> <IP address>"

if all that works then try shutting down the gi0/0 interface and see if you can still access your router.

Any problems let me know and if you want an explanation of how it works no problem but first lets just see if it works.

Jon

OK, everything seems to be working on G0/2, although I currently have G0/1 still on DHCP so I can get into it remotely.  I'll get rid of the IP there....

OK, the IP on G0/1 is gone and I still have connectivity on the VLAN 1001 address.  I can also ping it from my desktop still.

Can you explain why I had to go through this rigamaroll to make this work and it wasn't as straightforward as I thought?

Can you explain why I had to go through this rigamaroll to make this work

The problem was that gi0/0 had an IP from vlan 6 so it is a directly connected route.

As soon as it went down your router had no route to that network.

And you couldn't just add a route because it was a directly connected network.

Actually you probably could have perhaps used a summary route but using a VRF is preferable because it isolates the management interface from the rest of the router in terms of routing which is really what you want to do.

A VRF is simply a virtual router within the same physical chassic which has it's own routing and forwarding table although it still shares the router resources with everything else.

Jon

Absolutely fascinating.  Thanks for the help!

One quick follow-up question.  I want to use this interface on G0/2 as the source of RADIUS authentication on the router.  I've put in an "ip radius source-interface GigabitEthernet 0/2" in, but it's not working.  Because of this VRF that you had me create, is there something else I have to do to make RADIUS work properly?

Because of this VRF that you had me create

To be fair I was simply trying to help you fix your problem. You make it sound as if I deliberately tried to make your life harder.

In terms of radius can you try this -

"ip radius source-interface gi0/2 vrf <name>"

if that doesn't work then it gets a bit more complicated.

Jon

Apologies for the tone, I was not trying to come across like that.  I should have said "suggested I create" instead.

I've put in the "ip radius source-interface" line, but it's still not authenticating.

Am I trying to do something that isn't recommended?  Should I just reset the configuration on the router and once we get the MPLS working through it, revisit this?

No problem, I've had a long day so I probably just took it the wrong way.

It's not that it isn't recommended it's just that if that didn't work the only way I know is to place the aaa configuration into the VRF but I have never used that method and i'm not sure whether you need to do something on your AAA server.

Is it TACACS authentication you want to or actually RADIUS ?

And is it only going to be used for accessing the router ?

An alternative may be to just leave in the global routing table and see if we can add routes.

I don't have an AAA sever but I can do a quick test adding routes to the global routing table.

You use 10.6.6.0/23 for your internal range.

Is 10.6.4.x - 10.6.5.x used anywhere else in your network ?

I am just trying to find a summary address I can use.

In answer to your last question, yes revert back to what you had before and i'll do some quick tests to see if I can get it working.

Oh by the way, when you remove the vrf from the interface it will remove the IP again so you will, yet again, have to type it back in.

Jon

RADIUS will just be used for accessing the router via SSH.  We have all our switches set up this way as well.  Makes it easier to remember and consistent.

10.6.4.x - 10.6.5.x is not in use anywhere that I know of.

Thanks for the help!

Okay, you can officially have a go at me now :-)

There is a much easier way to do it but in my defence a VRF is a recommended way to isolate the management interface.

Just add this to your router -

ip route 10.6.6.0 255.255.254.0 10.200.1.11

basically your router has a directly connected interface in the 10.6.6.x network so that has an AD of 0.

If you type the above route in because it is a static it has an AD of 1 so it is not put into the routing table.

Unless gi0/0 fails then it is.

If you want to make it obvious to anyone looking at the configuration that this is not meant to be in the routing table under normal use then add a number between 2 and 254 at the end of the route as above.

This is the AD and it would make it obvious to anyone else looking it was a floating static.

The alternative is to enter a summary route eg.

ip route 10.6.4.0 255.255.252.0 10.200.1.11

without an AD number at the end.

This would be entered into the routing table even if gi0/0 was up because it does not match the subnet mask used for the directly connected interface.

Either will work and traffic should still pass when only gi0/1 is up.

So yes, sorry for all the messing about.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card