Views
Helpful
Replies

Procedure for changing the power supply for the WS-C4510R+E device

Electronic20
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Community:

I have a CORE switch model WS-C4510R+E, it has 2 power supplies, and it presents the following alarm:

Electronic20_0-1723517434331.png

A warning is observed for one input being turned off in each power supply and that component is going to be changed.

What would be the correct procedure for changing power supplies:

Should I turn off the equipment completely and change the 2 power supplies?
and what would be the procedure for turning off the C4510R+E?

or

Could the power supply be changed with the equipment on? with the exception that if I change a power supply, in that process I would only have 1 input operating, would that be enough power for the C4510R+E to be on? until I insert the new power supply.

Waiting for your support.

regards
Electronica20

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Electronic20 wrote:
Should I turn off the equipment completely and change the 2 power supplies?

That depends if the line cards are PoE-capable or not. 

But the power supply can only be replaced one at a time.

Hi @Leo Laohoo 

The line cards not are PoE.

My question is, if removing a power supply from the C4510R+E would cause any problems? Since at that time I would only have one power supply but with the input in "good" and the other would be off.

regards

Electronic20

Then replace the power supplies one by one.  

Hi @Leo Laohoo 

If I want to turn off the C4510R+E switch completely, that is, turn off its 2 power supplies and then replace both power supplies.

What would be the correct procedure to turn off that switch?

Save the config of the switch. 

Turn off the power supplies.

Hi @Leo Laohoo 

When I turn off the C4510R+E switch and when I turn it on, how long does it take for that switch model to charge and be fully operational?

regards

Electronic20

Usually some minutes.  If you have console access you can watch it boot up, which often avoids wondering has it hung, crashed or in a boot loop.  I.e., with console access it "seems" it take less time rather than waiting on a continuous ping to provide replies.

@Electronic20 wrote:
how long does it take for that switch model to charge and be fully operational?

Depends on the firmware used by the supervisor card, whether there is a ROMMON upgrade (or not), VSS. 

For a Sup7/7E, under normal condition, it takes seven (7) minutes (no firmware upgrade, no ROMMON upgrade, stand-alone) to boot up.

Depending on network redundancy, you might use a graceful withdrawal from the routing topology so that you don't create a transit black hole before you power off.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Whether you can "safety" pull one PS at a time depends whether PS has enough wattage to support the whole chassis alone.

I recall one of the show power commands may show total wattage being used.

Hello @Joseph W. Doherty .

I have been thinking of the same !

@Electronic20 

show power environment

may be the command that tells how much power is consumed by each linecard, the chassis and the supervisor(s).

if you choice to power off the chassis you need a schedulate maintenance of at least 1 hour . The time to reboot the system should be in the order of 10 minutes.

Hope to help

10 minutes is the ballpark number I had in mind too.  Actual time will depend on what's installed in the chassis, the size and complexity of the config, even a bit on the actual IOS being loaded.

Electronic20
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Community;

Thank you very much for the answer.

So between turning off, turning on and fully charging the C4510R+E switch it would take about 10 minutes, to take it into account.

The C4510R+E has 2 power supplies with 2 inputs each.
Could I remove 1 power supply without turning off the C4510R+E and replace it with a new power supply?

regrads

Electronic20

"Could I remove 1 power supply without turning off the C4510R+E and replace it with a new power supply?"

Already answered.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card