cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper way to use SLR to activate a switch stack?

RB6502
Level 1
Level 1

I have multiple stacks of C9500 switches that need to be activated using the SLR method.  When you execute the command to create the request code on the switch, the output gives you a request code for each switch in the stack (in this case, two codes).

A third party has to go into their Smart Licensing Portal account to create the auth tokens for us.  So I'm assuming that I'll get back one auth token per switch serial number, i.e two auth tokens per switch stack.  So to entitle the entire stack, do  I just execute the "lic smart reservation install" command twice, specifying the different auth tokens each time?

Asking first as these switches are currently in production and I'd like to know the procedure first rather than just hacking about.

7 Replies 7

Hi

I recommend this cisco doc:

"Registering Stack Members with a Single Authorization File"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst_slr/b-169-9000-series-SLR-cg/b-169-9000-series-SLR-cg_chapter_00.html 

In you scenario, you are going to need enable first:

Device(config)# license smart reservation

Then, when you receive the token:

Device# license smart reservation install file flash:AuthCode.txt

RB6502
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Flavio.  However, the steps in that doc that describe building the combined auth file seem like that they're in the wrong order to me.  Based on the examples, it appears that I basically want to: 1) in one file, concatenate the text of the two auh tokens 2) insert the <smartlicense> tag at the beginning of the resulting text and the </smartlicense> tag at the end of the resulting text.  Is that correct?

that correct.

<smartlicense> tag at the beginning of the resulting text and the </smartlicense>  device 1

<smartlicense> tag at the beginning of the resulting text and the </smartlicense>  device 2

<smartlicense> tag at the beginning of the resulting text and the </smartlicense>  device x

license smart reservation install file {flash:filename | tftp://filepath} command.

But if I understood correctly, you need to do only the command part, right? As you rely on others to generate the file.

Hi Flavio,

Thanks, but that's not the way the example for Step 4 looks.  There's only one <smartlicense></smartlicense> tag pair shown:

• Copy the authorization code from all the other files and paste it into this file:

<smartLicense>
    <specificPLR><authorizationCode><flag>A</flag>
    <version>C</version><piid>07639008-be16-43c7-8dfd-fd31eae63fdf</piid>
    <timestamp>1528829828573</timestamp><entitlements><entitlement>
    <startDate>2018-JUN-12 UTC</startDate><endDate>2018-DEC-09 UTC</endDate>
    <tag>regid.2018-02.com.cisco.C3850_24_Ipserv,1.0_f8e7b1ab-93d6-4c16-b579-e1aef2d7e528</tag>
    <count>1</count><licenseType>TERM</licenseType><displayName>C3850_24_Ipserv</displayName>
    <tagDescription>C3850 24 Port Ipserv</tagDescription><subscriptionID></subscriptionID></entitlement></entitlements></authorizationCode>
    <signature>MEQCIHfhX7eqXaTlPvUwHUlkXMut9nfibYGMtSMx/Cm1KKX2AiBc4/oxMsyzGhwFZDY3htC0FUN/ujJ1y4xbmSezL4Nxkw==</signature>
    <udi>P:WS-C3850-24P,S:FCW1818C01U</udi></specificPLR>
    <specificPLR><authorizationCode><flag>A</flag>
    <version>C</version><piid>07639008-be16-43c7-8dfd-fd31eae63fdf</piid>
    <timestamp>1528829828573</timestamp><entitlements><entitlement>
    <startDate>2018-JUN-12 UTC</startDate><endDate>2018-DEC-09 UTC</endDate>
    <tag>regid.2018-02.com.cisco.C3850_24_Ipserv,1.0_f8e7b1ab-93d6-4c16-b579-e1aef2d7e345</tag>
    <count>1</count><licenseType>TERM</licenseType><displayName>C3850_24_Ipserv</displayName><tagDescription>C3850 24 Port Ipserv</tagDescription><subscriptionID></subscriptionID></entitlement></entitlements></authorizationCode>
    <signature>MEQCIHfhX7eqXaTlPvUwHUlkXMut9nfibYGMtSMx/Cm1KKX2AiBc4/oxMsyzGhwFZDY3htC0FUN/ujJ1y4xbmSezL4Nxkw==</signature>
    <udi>P:WS-C3850-24P,S:FCW2089C01X</udi></specificPLR></smartLicense>

You are right. what I meant is that you need to take per device but you are right, you need to mount the final script.

Atually, the 'per device' start with <specificPLR> and end with </specificPLR>

So, I should did this:

<smartlicense>

<specificPLR> tag at the beginning of the resulting text and the </specificPLR> device 1

<specificPLR> tag at the beginning of the resulting text and the </specificPLR> device 2

<specificPLR> tag at the beginning of the resulting text and the </specificPLR> device x

</smartlicense>

sorry.

No worries, thanks for clarifying!

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the Devices are stacking and devices already have Licenses, then you simply configured the switch stack to get License from a smart License. : 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/how-to-activate-sl-on-stacking-catalyst9k/td-p/4058184

This good video explains better understanding  :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXNQeLoAiDA

Since you mentioned Cat 9500, to Build SVL, you need Network Advantage License requirement, to you need to change boot License  before you make SVL

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card