fabio.marino
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all, i'm Fabio and i have the following scenario:

Lab.jpg

->PC1 cannot communicate with PC3

->PC3 cannot communicate with PC1

->PC1, PC3 can communicate with PC0

As indicated by Peter in a different thread, https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2054922, i created an isolated pvlan for PC1, PC3 and a primary Vlan for PC 0 in order to satisfy requests.

My questions are:

1)I have to configure primary vlan and secondary vlan in all switches (access, distribution, core)? I think yes, because PVLAN doesn't support VTP

2)Based on the scenario showed, is correct my interface configuration plane? I mean, i need to configure all carry traffic interfaces as promiscuos interfaces, excluded tha access interface to PC 1,3 configured as "switchport mode private-vlan host"?

3)Finally, because of the presence of normal VLAN and private VLAN, i have to configure interfaces of access switch both in "access-mode" (access to vlan 100, 150) and  "switchport mode private-vlan host"?

Thanks, regards Fabio.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fabio,

Sorry for responding lately.

As indicated by Peter in a different thread, https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2054922, i created an isolated pvlan for PC1, PC3 and a primary Vlan for PC 0 in order to satisfy requests.

Correct but perhaps not described entirely precisely. What you need to do is to create a primary VLAN, then create another secondary isolated VLAN and associate it with the primary VLAN. PC1 and PC3 will be assigned to the secondary isolated PVLAN using the commands switchport mode private-vlan host and switchport private-vlan host-association primary-VLAN secondary-VLAN. In addition, you declare the port to PC0 as promiscuous port using the commands switchport mode private-vlan promiscuous and switchport private-vlan mapping primary-VLAN secondary-VLAN-list

1)I have to configure primary vlan and secondary vlan in all switches 
(access, distribution, core)? I think yes, because PVLAN doesn't support
 VTP

Yes. The primary and secondary VLANs have to be manually created on all switches including their types and attributes (primary, secondary community, secondary isolated, association under the primary VLAN). If using the VTPv3, however, this is not necessary - the VTPv3 will distribute this information automatically among all VTPv3-compliant switches.

2)Based on the scenario showed, is correct my interface configuration 
plane? I mean, i need to configure all carry traffic interfaces as 
promiscuos interfaces, excluded tha access interface to PC 1,3 
configured as "switchport mode private-vlan host"?

No, I am afraid that port types you have suggested are wrong. All inter-switch links shall be configured as normal trunks. Only ports to end stations shall be configured either as host ports or promisc ports. Note that the host port or the promisc port is very similar to an access port - it does not perform tagging and it belongs only to a single VLAN (the host port belongs to a particular secondary VLAN, the promisc port belongs to a particular primary VLAN). Because inter-switch links will possibly carry frames from different VLANs, these absolutely must be configured as trunks.

So - inter-switch links should be normal trunks. Ports to PC1 and PC3 will be private-vlan host, and port to the PC0 will be private-vlan promisc.

3)Finally, because of the presence of normal VLAN and private VLAN, i 
have to configure interfaces of access switch both in "access-mode" 
(access to vlan 100, 150) and  "switchport mode private-vlan host"?

No. There is no normal VLAN in this case. The private VLAN is actually a system of VLANs, visible from outside by the primary VLAN and internally divided into subgroups using the secondary VLANs. But the entire system consisting of the primary VLAN and the associated secondary VLANs is actually what is called the "Private VLAN". Thus, there shall be no access VLAN defined.

Let's assume that we have the primary VLAN 100, and secondary VLANs 101, 102, and 103. The 101 and 102 are community VLANs, the 103 is an isolated secondary VLAN. The example configuration of individual ports would be as follows:

interface FastEthernet0/1

! This is a community port in secondary VLAN 101

switchport private-vlan host-association 100 101

switchport mode private-vlan host

interface FastEthernet0/2

! This is a community port in secondary VLAN 102

switchport private-vlan host-association 100 102

interface FastEthernet0/3

! This is an isolated port in secondary VLAN 103

switchport private-vlan host-association 100 103

interface FastEthernet0/4

! This is a promisc port

switchport private-vlan mapping 100 101-103

switchport mode private-vlan promiscuous

Please feel free to ask further.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Fabio,

Sorry for responding lately.

Correct but perhaps not described entirely precisely. What you need to do is to create a primary VLAN, then create another secondary isolated VLAN and associate it with the primary VLAN. PC1 and PC3 will be assigned to the secondary isolated PVLAN using the commands switchport mode private-vlan host and switchport private-vlan host-association primary-VLAN secondary-VLAN. In addition, you declare the port to PC0 as promiscuous port using the commands switchport mode private-vlan promiscuous and switchport private-vlan mapping primary-VLAN secondary-VLAN-list

1)I have to configure primary vlan and secondary vlan in all switches 
(access, distribution, core)? I think yes, because PVLAN doesn't support
 VTP

Yes. The primary and secondary VLANs have to be manually created on all switches including their types and attributes (primary, secondary community, secondary isolated, association under the primary VLAN). If using the VTPv3, however, this is not necessary - the VTPv3 will distribute this information automatically among all VTPv3-compliant switches.

2)Based on the scenario showed, is correct my interface configuration 
plane? I mean, i need to configure all carry traffic interfaces as 
promiscuos interfaces, excluded tha access interface to PC 1,3 
configured as "switchport mode private-vlan host"?

No, I am afraid that port types you have suggested are wrong. All inter-switch links shall be configured as normal trunks. Only ports to end stations shall be configured either as host ports or promisc ports. Note that the host port or the promisc port is very similar to an access port - it does not perform tagging and it belongs only to a single VLAN (the host port belongs to a particular secondary VLAN, the promisc port belongs to a particular primary VLAN). Because inter-switch links will possibly carry frames from different VLANs, these absolutely must be configured as trunks.

So - inter-switch links should be normal trunks. Ports to PC1 and PC3 will be private-vlan host, and port to the PC0 will be private-vlan promisc.

3)Finally, because of the presence of normal VLAN and private VLAN, i 
have to configure interfaces of access switch both in "access-mode" 
(access to vlan 100, 150) and  "switchport mode private-vlan host"?

No. There is no normal VLAN in this case. The private VLAN is actually a system of VLANs, visible from outside by the primary VLAN and internally divided into subgroups using the secondary VLANs. But the entire system consisting of the primary VLAN and the associated secondary VLANs is actually what is called the "Private VLAN". Thus, there shall be no access VLAN defined.

Let's assume that we have the primary VLAN 100, and secondary VLANs 101, 102, and 103. The 101 and 102 are community VLANs, the 103 is an isolated secondary VLAN. The example configuration of individual ports would be as follows:

interface FastEthernet0/1

! This is a community port in secondary VLAN 101

switchport private-vlan host-association 100 101

interface FastEthernet0/2

! This is a community port in secondary VLAN 102

switchport private-vlan host-association 100 102

interface FastEthernet0/3

! This is an isolated port in secondary VLAN 103

switchport private-vlan host-association 100 103

interface FastEthernet0/4

! This is a promisc port

switchport private-vlan mapping 100 101-103

switchport mode private-vlan promiscuous

Please feel free to ask further.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Fabio,

There is an RFC you may be interested in reading about Private VLANs - the RFC 5517 describing them in more detail. See

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5517

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

thanks i need to implement your suggestion. I read it and know i'm going to analyze it. Thanks, good job.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card