Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS - Marking with Switch QoS not enabled

sy_price
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

Marking traffic from source. E.g. VTC with DSCP Value. 

VTC connects into Switch. Switch has not been enabled for QoS (qos mls has not been enabled).

Will the switch just pass through the traffic with DSCP value or with the switch overwrite the traffic with the switches internal dscp value (0)?

Thanks

Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As the other posters noted, what may happen depends on the device.

Generally, older switches, by default, reset QoS settings if not enabled to trust what they receive. However, this is also only if QoS is enabled by default, and on such switches it generally isn't. I.e. on the older switches, the default generally is that QoS isn't enabled, and if not enabled, markings will not be changed. if the switch's QoS is enabled, the default then usually becomes QoS markings are reset to zero.

Recent switches behave much like routers, that by default, don't reset QoS markings unless configured to do so. I.e. they implicitly trust a frame's/packet's QoS markings. However, the device, also by default, may not offer any special treatment, for specific QoS markings, unless configured to do so.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You should still honour it at the port and uplink , mls qos trust dscp , it can depend on the hardware and whether it will trust DSCP markings by default oir rewrite , ios-xe and nx-os will ios wont on some devices , you could tell by spanning local port and see if the marking is altered in wireshark

nixpengu1n
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

QoS mechanisms hugely depends on a switch model you use. Please provide it at a first place.

In general you have two options: either trust an incoming COS / DSCP values on ports and carry them over to uplink ports, or do not trust any COS / DSCP values and classify traffic on ingress queue to assign new COS / DSCP value and police / shape / prioritize traffic accordingly. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As the other posters noted, what may happen depends on the device.

Generally, older switches, by default, reset QoS settings if not enabled to trust what they receive. However, this is also only if QoS is enabled by default, and on such switches it generally isn't. I.e. on the older switches, the default generally is that QoS isn't enabled, and if not enabled, markings will not be changed. if the switch's QoS is enabled, the default then usually becomes QoS markings are reset to zero.

Recent switches behave much like routers, that by default, don't reset QoS markings unless configured to do so. I.e. they implicitly trust a frame's/packet's QoS markings. However, the device, also by default, may not offer any special treatment, for specific QoS markings, unless configured to do so.

sy_price
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your time and all the answers given.

Simon

For 3750 you should apply it to access and uplink they dont honor by default , it shouldnt alter the the DSCP marking though if it was cos it could rewrite it but been a long time since i confirmed but all my 37s where the source marks like cisco phones we trust oin access and uplinks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card