Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS on cat9k Tcam limit

mario.jost
Level 3
Level 3

So i recently learned on this page: 
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9000/white-paper-c11-742388.html#Egresstoolset

That if i have one QoS policy map assigned to every interface on a switch, the counters are not getting displayed per interface, but shown as an aggregated result. Quote:

If a policy with the same name is shared on multiple ports, the policy map counters will be aggregated, as the TCAM entries are shared between the ports. As result, an interface without traffic might see increments, but the TCAM usage will be reduced, as the entries are shared.

The solution therefore is written like follows. Quote:

If policy-map counters are needed per port, create policy maps with different names and the TCAM entries will not be shared.

So i am thinking about having a dedicated policy-map per interface on the incoming and outgoing direction which results in something like 96 different policies on a 48port switch. So do i run into some sort of limitation because of this? I remember on 2960X Switches there was some limits on the TCAM table (show platform tcam utilization) which do not seem to exist on the cat9300 Switches. All the limits i can think of are from the SDM templates:

swTRO01#show sdm prefer | include QoS
QoS Access Control Entries: 5120

As far as i understand, these are the ACE (ACLs for QoS) which, we still have the same amount becasue we will map the same classes to each of the different port based policy-map. Or maybe they are counted for every unique policy-map? Either way we should be fine as we are talking about 6x ACEs (1 priority queue and 5 WRR queues) per Policy which would be around 600 for 96 policies which is way below the limit. So is there any other limit i should be considering?

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card