cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS:"show interfaces" not showing packet drop but "show policy-map interface" do

martin.bernier2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

With LLQ+CBWFQ configured on an interface i can see tail packet drop using the command "Show policy-map interface X".  I'm wondering why in cannot see the same information about these packets drop with the "show interfaces X" command ?  Is the show interfaces only show information about tx-ring and is not related to layer 3 processor (software buffer) ?

This is basic question but i could not find info about this on CCO.

Regards,

3 Replies 3

Frederic Vanderbecq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

the drop counter under show interface should show you a collection of all the drops occurring on that subinterface. So, the drops seen under a service-policy should reflect under show interface as well.

Can you please tell me which router you are using, what is its software version, what type of module/port adapter is configured with the service-policy and the configuration used ?

Fred

Mathias Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

I think your are correct in your assumption that the dropped packets don't show up on the interface due to being dropped before entering the hardware queue. But I haven't really researched the issue, but its what makes sense to me and what I seem to recall from reading about it.

Thank you,

The device is a 3400ME with version 12.2(25)SEG1

The interface used is a gigabit interface with standard LLQ:

policy-map LLQ_POLICY
  class PQ
     priority
  class CLASS_HIGH
    bandwidth remaining percent 50

class CLASS_MEDIUM
    bandwidth remaining percent 30
   class class-default
    bandwidth remaining percent 20