cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS when is auto qos no longer enough

venturas05
Level 1
Level 1

I am still new to QoS and my role as Network Admin. We have 4 cores, 16 distribution, and 200+ access layer switches. I have been reading through all the QoS books and looking to configure advanced QoS on my switches. The guy I replaced came by today and told me that he has always been told to stick to auto QoS and leave it be. My question is when is Auto QoS no longer enough? Since taking over I have done some research on our switches and most of them have middle to large buffer misses and failures which I see as a result of poorly configured QoS. He informed me that he was always told to configure QoS only on VoIP ports and only on access layer switches. Is this correct? It doesn't seem so to me. I just want to know before I pure more hours into designing an advanced QoS plan for my network. I have a mixture of switches so I have to develop a plan for around 10 - 12 different flavors of cisco access, distribution, and core layer switches.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You only really need QoS when there's enough congestion that it's adverse to the service requirements of the traffic.

Many times LANs have sufficient network resources, they often don't need QoS, but QoS might be applied just-in-case (especially when supporting something like VoIP).

As maintaining even a simple QoS policy on many devices with many ports (without automation) can be maintenance intensive, AutoQoS might be used as the base policy (it can be selectively overridden, if needed).

Current generation AutoQoS isn't too bad (i.e. MediaNet, V4 version), but to leverage it, apps need to mark traffic to conform with AutoQoS expectations.

When supporting any QoS policy, ideally you want to be able to monitor how well it's doing.  Sometimes QoS policies do require adjustment for your traffic.  Sometimes more network resources are required.

Although QoS can be very powerful, maintaining it can be expensive and so, especially on LAN, other solutions might actually be more cost effective.  For example, instead of constantly tuning QoS to manage a congested LAN link, it might be less expensive to increase bandwidth via a "faster" link or Etherchanneling.  Or, instead of managing a congested link with QoS, perhaps traffic might be placed on different links (e.g. VoIP VLANs have their own dedicated interswitch link).

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You only really need QoS when there's enough congestion that it's adverse to the service requirements of the traffic.

Many times LANs have sufficient network resources, they often don't need QoS, but QoS might be applied just-in-case (especially when supporting something like VoIP).

As maintaining even a simple QoS policy on many devices with many ports (without automation) can be maintenance intensive, AutoQoS might be used as the base policy (it can be selectively overridden, if needed).

Current generation AutoQoS isn't too bad (i.e. MediaNet, V4 version), but to leverage it, apps need to mark traffic to conform with AutoQoS expectations.

When supporting any QoS policy, ideally you want to be able to monitor how well it's doing.  Sometimes QoS policies do require adjustment for your traffic.  Sometimes more network resources are required.

Although QoS can be very powerful, maintaining it can be expensive and so, especially on LAN, other solutions might actually be more cost effective.  For example, instead of constantly tuning QoS to manage a congested LAN link, it might be less expensive to increase bandwidth via a "faster" link or Etherchanneling.  Or, instead of managing a congested link with QoS, perhaps traffic might be placed on different links (e.g. VoIP VLANs have their own dedicated interswitch link).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card