cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quesiotn of Increasing Console Baud Speed for changing logging level on Nexus Switch

PolarPanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I am new to nexus switch. I want to change my nexus switch(7000) logging level from critical to notification. In order to do it, I have to change baud speed. Here is the statement from cisco: The current critical (default) logging level is maintained if the console baud speed is 9600 baud (default). All attempts to change the console logging level generate an error message. To increase the logging level (above critical), you must change the console baud speed to 38400 baud.

My questions are: 1. Why do I need to change console baud speed in order to change logging level?

2. Will there be any potential risk after change the speed, like read and write data, etc?

Thank you for your time!!

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per my understanding

When you looking some Debug logs if your baud rate is high, you can view logs scrolling faster as expected. So it won't lock you up with small baud rate while transmitting logs using your serial communication which is slow.

Generally, Nexus has good resources, unlike tradition switch, has low logging capacity.

If i were you, rather looking logs at the console, i will enable logging to a log file, you can view them later.

Until you have a different purpose and intent to view logs only on Console.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you for the answer. Currently, I'm planning to send all logs to kiwi syslog server and store in a file. Correct me if I'm wrong. The way you approach to save log file, I can just change log level(notification) and save in a log file, not logging console? If I type "show logging", it will still show critical log message on the console? If I send logs to kiwi, I believe I have to change console log level.

you have the ability to send the logs to the Syslog server and also store locally.

yes then you configure to store logs locally, you can view with the command show logging.

good command in nexus is :

show logging last 100  < - this means show only last 100 lines, this can 200 or 300 lines depends on requirement)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card