Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Dual-Active Detection link

fabio1984
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

I have 2 Catalyst 9500 working in a VSS design. There are 2 ports in the VSS bundle, but so far we don't have the dual active detection link connection. We got a specific interface dedicated for this already configured, and in the next couple days we're going to connect the fiber in there. My question is: when we connect that fiber, would we have any disruption in the VSS bundle, or anything that could cause impact to the users connected to those switches? I assume no impact is expected, as the Dual ACtive Detection link is not inside the bundle, actually monitors it...but I need to be sure. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, it is already configured...just like the example in the link you provided, I got  ports 1/0/1 and 1/0/2 in both 9500s configured as the VSS bundle,  working perfectly. And the interface 1/0/3 in both switches I have the "stackwise-virtual dual-active-detection"" line configured - but there's no fiber between them yet. We will have someone connecting the fiber between them very soon, so according the very good explanation in the article you provided, I dont believe we should have any impact after connecting it since the interface is already configured, right?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi

It is already configured ? Or you are going to interconnect and configure?  

If you are going to configure, there will be downtime as the switch require a reboot after config.

Take a look on this link.

https://www.ciscozine.com/stackwise-virtual-catalyst-9500/ 

Yes, it is already configured...just like the example in the link you provided, I got  ports 1/0/1 and 1/0/2 in both 9500s configured as the VSS bundle,  working perfectly. And the interface 1/0/3 in both switches I have the "stackwise-virtual dual-active-detection"" line configured - but there's no fiber between them yet. We will have someone connecting the fiber between them very soon, so according the very good explanation in the article you provided, I dont believe we should have any impact after connecting it since the interface is already configured, right?

Yeah, that´s right.  Of course, I believe you are going to do this in a maintenence window right, off business hours just to make sure. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card