cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Cisco 250 Smart Switch to segregate traffic

elamere
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, this may be a stupid question. If it is, I apologize. I am not familiar with network setup or tools.

Question: I work in a university lab. I would like to use the Cisco 250 smart switch to isolate my lab from the larger university network. That is, I have a number of devices (power supplies, controllers, etc) that can be accessed via an assigned ip. I do not want them to be accessed via the larger university network, just a local computer. I would also like to be able to use the switch to provide access to the university network to these computers. Can I assign certain ports to certain networks? Can I segregate them using just this switch? Is this something you can do with VLAN?

I have connected the switch and can talk to the devices (when the university network is unplugged). Once I plug in the university network to the switch, the ip of the switch reverts to a DHCP university ip that I can not communicate with.

My boss has suggested this is possible, but I am not sure how or what terminology to use to search for the answer. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated!

1 Reply 1

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4
As far as I can understand from your post you are try to achieve some kind of network segregation
something like this
lab network >>>>Cisco 250 switch>>>>University network

There are many ways to segment the network for eg :

You can have the lab network in different VLAN and disable DHCP from the university network and for internet and outside access you can create a default route on the Cisco 250 switch to the university network. I am not sure of the configuration and design of the network.
You can also use ACL's to restrict access.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card