cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions on 3650 Stack and Power Options.

sanjaynadarajah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the following two questions around the working of the 3650s.

i) Can a 3650 be stacked with different 3650 models ? ie) a WS-C3650-24PD-E (PoE) and a WS-C3650-24TD-S (non-PoE).

My understanding is that this is allowed as long as the image on both these switches are the same but need this to be confirmed.

ii) With regards to having a redundant power supply on the 3650, does it only run on redundant mode ?  I can't find the command

to verify it runs on redundant/combined.

Thank you.

Cheers,

SN

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Whenever I have priced it up, as soon as you want to start doing stacking the 3850's become attractive price wise.  So please consider the 3850's as an option as well.  Also note the 3850's support power stacking, as well as data stacking.  Specifically the power supply from one 3850 can be used to feed power into another 3850.  Depending on the power budget, sometimes you don't need to do anything extra for power redundancy than plug in the power stacking cables.  Hence saving in the cost of buying extra redundant power supplies.

You can stack switches from the same family as long as they have the same licence (e,g. IP Base, Enterprise, etc).

I don't know for the 3650 - but I would expect it to only run in redundant mode.  I don't see the point otherwise.  Because the 3850's can do load sharing between the chassis members you have all sorts of options with the 3850's.

Cisco 3850's even support load shedding.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/int_hw_components/configuration_guide/b_int_3se_3850_cg/b_int_3se_3850_cg_chapter_01000.html#con_1013434

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Whenever I have priced it up, as soon as you want to start doing stacking the 3850's become attractive price wise.  So please consider the 3850's as an option as well.  Also note the 3850's support power stacking, as well as data stacking.  Specifically the power supply from one 3850 can be used to feed power into another 3850.  Depending on the power budget, sometimes you don't need to do anything extra for power redundancy than plug in the power stacking cables.  Hence saving in the cost of buying extra redundant power supplies.

You can stack switches from the same family as long as they have the same licence (e,g. IP Base, Enterprise, etc).

I don't know for the 3650 - but I would expect it to only run in redundant mode.  I don't see the point otherwise.  Because the 3850's can do load sharing between the chassis members you have all sorts of options with the 3850's.

Cisco 3850's even support load shedding.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/int_hw_components/configuration_guide/b_int_3se_3850_cg/b_int_3se_3850_cg_chapter_01000.html#con_1013434

i) Can a 3650 be stacked with different 3650 models ? ie) a WS-C3650-24PD-E (PoE) and a WS-C3650-24TD-S (non-PoE).

Yes you can do it, (i did the same last low weeks)

ii) no idea

Well when I used the Cisco Power Calculator, it seems that it can run in redundant and combined mode. The FAQ on the 3650 says this as well.  (Please refer to the attachment)

The issue is that I can't find the command to configure this on the switch. Can anyone let me know as to how to configure this ?

Many thanks.

Cheers,

SN

hi, I am looking for the same. did u get the ans?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco