Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate Limit a 10gbps to 1gbps

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all

I have a specific request to rate-limit a 10 Gbps interface to 1 Gbps throughput. Hardware is a C9300-24T with IOS 16.9. 

Is that easily possible? I know that will cause packet-loss, but that's acceptable for this connection. And yes I know that this is a generally bad idea. The important part is that the traffic gets limited to 1 Gbps (adjustable by me to later maybe 2 Gbps).

How would the configuration look for this?

I'm also tasked to do some accounting for the whole transferred traffic on this interface, ideally lacking an IP range. What are good tools for this, or does it even come with something included in IOS 16.x?

Thanks for help

Patrick

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

May be you can try like below - is this works ? you can also setup speed ?

policy-map 1GB
class class-default
shape average 100000000

Interface ten x/x
service-policy output 1GB

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for the very quick answer!

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Patrick,

What you want in this case is referred to as "Policing" in the Configuration Guide : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-3/configuration_guide/qos/b_173_qos_9300_cg/configuring_qos.html#concept_kg1_qcb_p1b 

You can certainly police from 10gbps to 1Gbps. The "show policy map interface <interface>" command will show you information about the policer you have attached to an interface, including the total number of bytes the policy has allowed since its inception. An example of this output is at the link I sent or you can find it in the command reference. You could set up something like a Python script to capture this information every so often. If you are into NETCONF / YANG, there may be a YANG model that you can use to get this information as well (I am not sure on that one as I don't delve into that area). There is a lot of information on Github and developer.cisco.com as far as available YANG models for Catalyst 9300s.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

Thanks for the very quick answer!

I'm absolutely not into YANG or Python, but I will have a look.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card