Views
Helpful
Replies

receiving port type inconsistent on switch

cisco-ninja
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

We're connecting a single port between a Cisco switch and a non-Cisco router but cannot get it work. On the router, we have 4 ports and 2 of them are connected to a Cisco switch. Both Cisco ports are configured as an access port. One is working just fine but this other one isn't. Below is the error message we are getting.

After noticing this error, i did a packet capture and saw STPs with different VLAN IDs so i make the access port to a trunk only allowing Vlan 3030 which i want. Then the error was resolved but the switch doesn't seem to send DHCP messages to the router. At least that's how i see it on the wireshark output. No response from anything after the DHCP request.

I'd appreciate any comments to figure out what the problem is.

Switch model

C2960S-HBOOT-M Version 12.2

Switch log

%SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk GigabitEthernet0/40 VLAN3030.
%SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/40 on VLAN3030. Inconsistent port type.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@cisco-ninja wrote:
C2960S-HBOOT-M Version 12.2

Post the complete output to the command "sh version". 

@cisco-ninja wrote:
%SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk GigabitEthernet0/40 VLAN3030.
%SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/40 on VLAN3030. Inconsistent port type.

Non-Cisco router does not support 802.1q Trunking?  

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
non-Cisco router 

what is this device? do you need to spanning tree for that VLAN in the network, if not try to disable the spanning tree for that VLAN (if you are sure there are no loops in the network - before you disable the spanning tree for testing)

as @Leo Laohoo asked good to see the config and spanning information for us to understand the issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

turn spanning tree off altogether for Vlan3030.

As you have not configured the trunk on your router so there will not be a loop..

no spanning-tree vlan 3030

Thanks,
Jitendra
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card