Views
Helpful
Replies

recovering switch with wrong BAUD rate

softcake20
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

it seem's that i made a mistake when typing the BAUD rate of a 2960-Switch in rommon.

I can't start the switch now, because there is no image on it (because I deleted it before) and the baud-rate has wrong settings. When connecting via console cable i can't see anything (except some strange hieroglyphics) when starting. I tried all the speeds in teraterm... without success.

what can i do, to recover the switch back?

regards

peter

19 Replies 19

Great knowing it can be done. Now, if you would disclose some details about the successful adapter,  now, THAT would be useful!

arthur_veber
Level 1
Level 1

I solved it

I set BAUD to 56700 and after this can't connect to cisco (i tried different bit rate, "mode-reset" buttons... etc) from computer (1)

Thet i plugin a pci-to-com adapter card into another computer (2) and connect "rj-45" cisco cable to it.

In putty i set 56700 - and it works

i change boud to 9600 and now i can connect to cisco "rj-45" cable from previous computer (1) (maybe com port on this "previous" (1) computer not support 56700 bit rate...)

I am glad that you had this problem and found a way to solve it. Thank you for posting to the forum and for sharing your solution for this problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Sometimes it depends on the terminal software you use to connect.  I've had Hyperterminal do some strange things, but usually they can be solved by clicking the disconnect button and/or physically unplugging the console cable, and even restarting it after a change to the Cisco's speed setting.

If you start the switch in recovery mode, be sure to type BAUD in caps:

switch: set BAUD 115200

It's possible to accidentally set a variable called baud (lowercase) that does nothing and can cause frustration when nothing seems to work.   Some IOS versions will give an error, some won't.

To check the BAUD variable, type:

switch: set

BAUD=9600
BOOT=flash:c2970-lanbase-mz.122-44.SE6.bin
MAC_ADDR=00:0F:8F:36:95:00
MODEL_NUM=WS-C2970G-24TS-E
MODEL_REVISION_NUM=C0
MOTHERBOARD_ASSEMBLY_NUM=73-9095-04
MOTHERBOARD_REVISION_NUM=A0

:     :     :

If you accidentally typed baud instead of BAUD, you can unset the baud variable:

switch: unset baud

I've recovered several 2970 switches and once or twice I used baud and got no error.  After recovery to new firmware, the error will appear but it will still set a dummy variable.

switch: set baud 9600
vb:: no such device

switch: set
BAUD=9600
BOOT=flash:c2970-lanbase-mz.122-44.SE6.bin
MAC_ADDR=00:0F:8F:36:95:00
MODEL_NUM=WS-C2970G-24TS-E
MODEL_REVISION_NUM=C0
MOTHERBOARD_ASSEMBLY_NUM=73-9095-04
MOTHERBOARD_REVISION_NUM=A0
   :   :   :
baud=9600