cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote command on 6500?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

I was facing an issue on my 6500 core switch with one supervisor where it would go directly into rommon and after booting it would lose all config when a power cut happens. after some digging i found out that the "remote command show boot" is different as the "show boot" as below. can anyone please explain what is the remote command and how it is different?

-Also please note i have yet to test if this actually fix the problem

BOOT variable = disk0:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI.bin,12;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x8000

CORE-2#conf t
CORE-2(config)#config-register 0x2102
CORE-2#wr
Building configuration...
[OK]
CORE-2#remote command switch show boot

BOOT variable = disk0:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI.bin,12;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x8000 (will be 0x2102 at next reload)

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@baselzind wrote:
Configuration register is 0x8000 (will be 0x2102 at next reload)

0x2102 will only be applied DURING reloading.  

alexanderchance
Level 1
Level 1

The config-register code will put you in ROMMON if the initial boot fails, and as @Leo Laohoo says you need to reboot the switch for it to take effect.
The remote command is used when you are logged in to the master switch whether it is a stack (or a VSS pair in this case I persume) and need to execute command on the non-main chassis.

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

No but my Core have one supervisor engine and the "show boot" and the "remote command show boot" were giving different results , the "show boot" was giving config-register 0x2102 while the "remote command show boot" was giving config-register 0x8000

I would recommend that you have the same config-register for both switches if you want the same behavior when they reboot.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card