cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove Stack Ports on 550x Switch

jmh0211
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning!  I have a Cisco 550x switch in our work area and one of the STIGs says to remove all ports from VLAN 1.  The ports on VLAN 1 are listing G1/0/1-48, 2/0/1-48, 3/0/48, and so on up to 8/0/48.  But when I move all of these to a dead VLAN out of VLAN 1, it creates the logical interfaces in the running configuration even though I only have one switch and not a stack.  I tried doing a "no stack configuration" to remove them then restarted the switch, but they all stay in the running config.  Is there any way to remove them on this switch?  Thanks!

12 Replies 12

pieterh
VIP
VIP

G1/0/1-48, 2/0/1-48, 3/0/48, and so on up to 8/0/48

-> Gi8/0/48 either means slot-8/module-0/port-48 or member-8/module-0/port-48

if you only have a single switch you should not have configured Gi8/0/48 !
NB! this is not a logical interface, it is a reference to a physical interface even though the interface is not physical present.

-> you can use "no interface Gi8/0/48" to remove the interfaces individually,

you may find a "switch <n> provision ...."  line in the configuration for the unintentional added members 2-8

you can use "no switch <n> provision..." command to remover members and all ports for that member from the configuration, write and reload

Thank you for your reply.  So, I never added those interfaces to the switch.  That is how it was given to us by another organization pre-configured.  Unfortunately, the simplicity of most Cisco switches does not apply to 550x's.  Both of the commands you referenced do not work on these switches.  There is no provision command in the config like you would expect from a switch with a stack configuration and there isn't a "no interface command" in any privilege mode.  Any other ideas would be welcome!  

Hello @jmh0211 ,

post a show version

and

show inventory

show module

if this is an old modular Catalyst 5509 it can have linecards

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hey Guiseppe, thanks for your reply.  Due to the nature of my environment, I cannot post the results of the output, but I can give you a description.  The "show module" command doesn't exist on these switches.  The "show inventory" command lists the following...

Name:  SG550x-48 48-port Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch

Name: TenGigabit1/0/3 SFP

Name: TenGigabit1/0/4 SFP

So, just the switch and the two SFPs installed.

I misinterpreted your info 550x does not refer to 5505, 5509 or such but really to SG550x (my bad, the info is there)

accessing the web-management interface it may be easier to manage the stack than the CLI

look at this document for configuring stack on sg350x Configure Stack Settings on an SG350X Switch - Cisco

for the CLI see Configure Stack Settings on a Switch through the CLI - Cisco

start with show stack configuration and show stack

Show stack config just says 1 unit-id and "auto" after a reboot.  Show stack just shows 1 device.  I saved/reloaded again after doing another "no stack configuration", but still showing all the devices in the running config.  The beginning of my config looks similar to this...

unit-type-control-start
unit-type unit 1 network gi uplink te
unit-type unit 2 network gi uplink te
unit-type unit 3 network gi uplink te
unit-type unit 4 network gi uplink te
unit-type unit 5 network gi uplink te
unit-type unit 6 network gi uplink te
unit-type unit 7 network gi uplink te
unit-type unit 8 network gi uplink te
unit-type-control-end

Not sure what the consequences are, or if it is possible, to do a "no unit-type unit <id> network gi uplink te" to remove them.

I expect commands to be like :

SG350X-1#configure
SG350X-1(config)#stack unit [unit-id | all]    < --  I'm missing this step in your post
SG350X-1(unit)#no stack configuration
SG350X-1(unit)#end
SG350X-1#show stack configuration
then save and reload

Found the solution.  In order to comply with STIGs, I have to shut down all interface and put them in a vlan other than 1.  When doing these steps, it adds an interface configuration to an interface that did not have a configuration by default.  Just did a no shutdown and no access vlan and it took them off the running configuration.  I am still back to the original problem of having all of those interfaces showing up in vlan 1, but that is another issue I'll have to work out.  

Hello @jmh0211 ,

I'm sorry but 550X for me was something very old and modular ...:)

You have an SG550 with 48 ports now I understand your concerns however following what @Georg Pauwen suggests you should be able to get rid of non existing ports.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

-> Gi8/0/48 either means slot-8/module-0/port-48 or member-8/module-0/port-48

Giuseppe Larosa uses the term linecards where i mentioned slots
If this is a switchmodel that used linecards Gi8/0/48 refers to linecard 8 port-48

similar like this image

ws-c4506e-s6l-4200-600x315.jpg (600×315) (hardwarejet.com)

Hello,

when you entered the 'no stack configuration' command, did you type 'end' and 'copy running-config startup-config' before executing the 'reload' command (as outlined in the attached document starting with Step 5) ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-350-series-managed-switches/smb5555-configure-stack-settings-on-a-switch-through-the-command-lin.html

Georg,

Thanks for the suggesstion, but I did a wr before I saved it.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card