Views
Helpful
Replies

remove switch from stack and add to new stack

robertkwild
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi all,

got a switch to remove from an existing stack and want to add to new stack, i want to really do it with no downtime as both stacks are being used

so to remove switch from stack i guess i do

power down switch

remove stackwise cables, got two different cables, one has 3 cables attached to the connector and the other has 1 cable attached to the connector, i think one is power and data?

then issue this command on the old stack to remove that switch

no switch 5

now to add the new switch to the stack do i need to first console into it forst and do a

no switch 5

or can i connect it to the new stack with cables and then provision it

thanks,

rob

8 Replies 8

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hi @robertkwild 

Follow these steps:

#Remove Switch from Existing Stack

-Power down the switch.
-Remove the StackWise cables. As you mentioned, there are typically two types of cables: one for power and data (StackWise) and the other for power only.

*StackWise Cable*
- If you have three cbles attached to the connector, it's likely a StackWise cable (carries both power and data).
- If you have one cable attached to the connector, it might be a power cable only.

-After powering down and removing cables, connect to the existing stack's CLI and issue the following command to remove the

no switch <switch_number> provision type <switch_type>

The `<switch_type>` should match the type of the new switch being added.

#Add Switch to New Stack:
-Connect the new switch to the new stack using StackWise cables.
-Power on the new switch.

-On the new stack's CLI, provision the new switch:

switch <new_switch_number> provision type <switch_type>

To go further:

-Ensure that the new switch has the same software version as the existing stack to avoid compatibility issues.
-Verify that the new switch has the correct license for stacking if licensing is required.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

sorry M02@rt37 when you say remove switch from existing stack, shouldnt it be

no switch <switch_number> provision type <switch_type>

instead of

switch <switch_number> provision type <switch_type>

and to add switch to new stack

so i dont even need to console to the switch forst to do anything i can just add to new stack

switch <new_switch_number> provision type <switch_type>

do i enter in the number of the stack number what it was on the old stack as i can always renumber it?

@robertkwild 

You're correct I modify it !!

When adding the new switch to the new stack, you generally enter the switch number that you want it to have in the new stack. If you plan to renumber it later, you can use the desired switch number. Ensure there's no conflict with existing switch numbers in the new stack...

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as other suggested simple steps i follow :

basic requirement - should be same model and check the compatability before you stack, make sure you upgrade or degrade the IOS code as per new stack - where the exiting switch moving or connecting.

1. Remove the switch from exiting stack.

2. change the switch number and priority

3. connect the stack cable, make sure stack ring correctly connected. (depends on the model check the documentation for stack ring).

4. Power on the switch and monitor from master switch, the new stack member added and working.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

when i do

no switch 5 provision ws-c3850-48p

i can still see it when i do "sh switch"

5 Member 0000.0000.0000 0 V07 Unprovisioned

You can ignore that, that not going to effect operationally. (save the config) - this may be bug of the software you using, when you reload in maintenance window - this will be gone.

Make sure old stack, when you remove the switch, stack ring closed as expected.

on the new stack connect the device (new device) make sure make changes of stack ring cable and working.

BB

robertkwild
Spotlight
Spotlight

thanks all worked perfect, no downtime what so ever, i renumbered the switch from 5 to 2 on the new stack as it still remebered the old stack number but all good, thanks all

glad all good and our suggestion helped to fix the is issue, if this is resolved can you mark as resolved, so other community members can refer if they are in same situation as you.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card