Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing config from one interface affects three others

rodan65
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have a question about reconfiguring ports on a couple of core switches at one of our sites.

The site in question has a pair of Cisco 6807-XL chassis running in VSS and I have setup some local SPAN ports for a new network defence system. However, it appears that 802.1q information is not being sent out of the SPAN interfaces, and the switches do not offer me the option of 'encapsulation replicate' on the end of the command to setup the monitor interface.

There is a lot of config on the interfaces I have used as the monitor interfaces, which is primarily concerning 'wrr-queue random-detect' and 'wrr-queue dscp-map' which I was going to remove on the two interfaces I am using for monitoring interfaces, or even reset the interfaces back to default with 'default interface te1/1/12' however, before I did that I tried removing some of the wrr-queue commands from te1/1/12 and to my surprise apart from reconfiguring the te1/1/12 interface, it also removed the same config from te1/1/9. te1/1/10 and te1/1/11. I can't understand why it did that as all the interfaces are in different port-channel groups, and te1/1/12 isn't in a port-channel at all. I am assuming there must therefore be a way to group interfaces together for configuration purposes (and hopefully ungroup one) but I cannot see anything obvious in the config.

Is there a way to remove or reset an interface without affecting other interfaces?

Is there a way with the 6807-XL ver 15.2(1)SY4 to pass encapsulation information, basically the VLAN ID, out of the SPAN monitor ports?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes i have seen this issue when you remove - it has removed asic associated interface, have no clue that time it was almost all 5 years or more. i have to put manually back the config back in to interface especially QOS config.

May be if the feature is limitation on that port - try uplift the code.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

For SPAN configuration, the source port can be an access port or a trunk port. If it is a trunk port, you need to make sure that the destination device is configured to handle dot1q traffic. 

As for config removal, the only times the config should be removed from multiple physical interfaces are when the ports are under the same Portchannel ID and when you are using the "interface range" command. Other than that, you may be dealing with a bug in the IOS version you are running. There aren't many IOS versions left for the 6807, as the device is end-of-life.

HTH

rodan65
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your replies, I thought it might be a bug or something as I haven't seen behaviour like this on any other switch series I've worked on. I'll check the destination device is enabled for 802.1q on its ingest ports as well.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card