cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing stacked switchport config from used switch

joshduty
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a few used switches and some of them look as though they were stacked by the previous owner. For example, I have two switches (on their own) display their ports as Gig2/0/1-52 on them. All the documentation I have found shows that you need to remove it from the stack before physically removing it from the stack connection. Seeing that these are used switches, I cannot reconnect them as a stacked switch and wanted to know how I can get the switchports back to their correct setting when they are using individually? (i.e. Gig1/0/1-52) 

I have already tried fully resetting by clearing flash, vlan.dat and config.text files but no luck. I have also tried removing the "switch 2 provision XXXXXXXXXXXXXX" command, only to get an error message stating "%Switch can not be un-provisioned when it is physically present" and also issuing the "switch 1 provision xxxxxxxxxxx" and retrying to remove the switch 2, but still receive the same error. 

Any information on how to go about getting them back to the normal config would be great. Seems super odd that a reset of the whole config file doesn't remove that remnant of the switch. 

Thanks,

Josh 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

To change port numbering from Gig2/0/1-52  to ports listed as Gig1/0/1-52, aka switch 2 to switch 1, you must go to Switch Mode (aka Switch ROM mode) to change/edit  config saying something like switch:2.

So stop normal boot by holding mode button on start up of switch for 20 sec or so, or follow documentation for your switch.  Once you see switch: prompt, you may use ? or type set to see settings; example of configs in Switch mode:

switch: set
SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=0
SWITCH_NUMBER=2
SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUM=

you must change 2 to 1 by typing SWITCH_NUMBER=1 then type verify/check your changes with set command and to start witch booting process type boot

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what is the status, but follow below steps :

1. do not connect any stack cables

2. reset to factory default is best option

3. boot them and check they are switch 1 ( port number Gi 1/x/x

4. Once you see both the switches the same.

simply follow the below guide :

https://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0001205

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

To change port numbering from Gig2/0/1-52  to ports listed as Gig1/0/1-52, aka switch 2 to switch 1, you must go to Switch Mode (aka Switch ROM mode) to change/edit  config saying something like switch:2.

So stop normal boot by holding mode button on start up of switch for 20 sec or so, or follow documentation for your switch.  Once you see switch: prompt, you may use ? or type set to see settings; example of configs in Switch mode:

switch: set
SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=0
SWITCH_NUMBER=2
SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUM=

you must change 2 to 1 by typing SWITCH_NUMBER=1 then type verify/check your changes with set command and to start witch booting process type boot

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I will give this a shot today when I get back in to the office.... I'll let you know what I find. 

Hello

What make/model are these swiches?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Switches are 2960X's.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card