Views
Helpful
Replies

Renaming Interfaces?

leam_hall
Level 1
Level 1

Morning all!

I have some switches that we tested in StackWise configuration, now they have some interface sets at g1/0/x and some at g2/0/x. I'd like to standardize them all at g1/0/x, and eliminate references to "Switch 2" so that everything not StackWise'd is Switch 1 and g1/0/x etc...

Is there a way to do this?

Noting that it's been a long day, does the question even make sense? 

Leam

5 Replies 5

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

Your question makes sense, but what you seek isn't doable.  When you run stacks each switch is viewed as a module, much like on a chassis switch, and we all know that we can't renumber those

Hi Leam,

Antonio is right you need an identifier which Switch you are configuring..

No change I would say...

regards,

Sebastian

Sorry I red you question once again..

Or do you mean after you stacked the switches you spit them and still have the references in the config and you want to eliminate that? That is possible when you have split the switches and want to use them a two "standalone" and not stacked switches...

Correct, the switches are no longer stacked. I needed to test their stackwise ports before putting them on the production floor and they have the configuration from that test. I'd like to put all the non-stacked switches as g1/0/X so we can automate the configs.

Thanks!

Leam

OK thats good and possible

You can renumber the old switch 2

"switch 2 renumber 1"

reload

Now everything is like you want..

But there is still a switch two in the config I believe so better you use that. Here you will remove the not used switch out of your config.

Check before the details of your config by "sh run I include provision" ther is a provision command in the config visible use that like the example.

example:

no switch 2 provision ws-c3750-48ts

regards,

Sebastian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card