Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace Supervisor Module in Cisco Catalyst 6500 VSS 1440

fuhrersk8
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Cisco forum team!

I am in the process of replacing a faulty supervisor (VS Sup720 10G) on a Catalyst 6509 VSS pair. I received the RMA and have the document Replace Supervisor Module in Cisco Catalyst 6500 Virtual Switching System 1440  (attached is the document) with the procedure. After reviewing the steps, I have a couple of questions when installing the new supervisor:

1.  Does all links (including VSL) must be connected prior to powering up the new supervisor? This is before the image and startup config is copied into the new supervisor.

2. Once the image and startup config is copied from the active VSS switch into the new supervisor, the document says to verify the commands for switch priority within the startup config copied form the active VSS, but the priority from each switch is not stored in the startup config as far as I know. Can you please clarify this?

My goal is to add the new supervisor engine without disrupting the current active VSS switch.

Thanks in advanced for your support!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

Regarding your questions:

1.  Does all links (including VSL) must be connected prior to powering up the new supervisor? This is before the image and startup config is copied into the new supervisor. - Yes

2. Once the image and startup config is copied from the active VSS switch into the new supervisor, the document says to verify the commands for switch priority within the startup config copied form the active VSS, but the priority from each switch is not stored in the startup config as far as I know. Can you please clarify this? - Once you convert the switch for VSS the priorities will be stored in startup configuration file. Please check the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/vss.html#wp1111770

However it is no longer recommended and therefore should be avoided. I would suggest not setting the priority.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

Regarding your questions:

1.  Does all links (including VSL) must be connected prior to powering up the new supervisor? This is before the image and startup config is copied into the new supervisor. - Yes

2. Once the image and startup config is copied from the active VSS switch into the new supervisor, the document says to verify the commands for switch priority within the startup config copied form the active VSS, but the priority from each switch is not stored in the startup config as far as I know. Can you please clarify this? - Once you convert the switch for VSS the priorities will be stored in startup configuration file. Please check the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/vss.html#wp1111770

However it is no longer recommended and therefore should be avoided. I would suggest not setting the priority.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Hello and thanks for your reply;

But at that point, still the new supervisor (switch) is not in VSS mode, correct? The reload is performed at a later step.

Thanks again for your support!

Indeed, you are correct.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Excellent. Thanks for your reply. In my scenario, the priorities are default (100), is this the reason I do not see them on the startup config of the active VSS switch?

VSS_SWITCH#show switch virtual role

Switch  Switch Status  Priority     Role    Session   ID
        Number         Oper(Conf)           Local    Remote
------------------------------------------------------------------
LOCAL    2     UP       100(100)    ACTIVE   0        0

In dual-active recovery mode: No

yes again :)

Regards,

RS.

Excellent. Thanks for your support. 

Hi fuhrersk8.

Please let me know did you replace the Primary SUP or Standby SUP.

How the replacement went.. was it smooth ,

I need to replace the active SUP in VSS (Cat-6513)

Hello

Yes. It worked as intended. No interruption in the Active VSS switch. I replaced Supervisor on Switch 1 which is in Standby role now.

Thanks. 

Hello

Thanks for your response.

When you replaced the Supervisor on switch 1 at that time the SUP was primary or standby in switch 1

Hello;

Switch 1 was powered off. 

Switch 1 was powered off b/c SUP on switch 1 was failed. Correct.

Before SUP on switch 1 was failed, what was the state of that SUP , Primary or secondary

Hello;

Correct. It was Primary. After receiving the new Sup720, (RMA from Cisco), we installed it, powered on switch 1 and proceed as stated on the document.

Regards,

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

And what was the switch ID on the faulty Primary SUP.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card