Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace the current running configuration file from a 3560x switch

Jeff Harned
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have different configuration files saved in flash.  I am having issues replacing the current running-configuration file using the command configure replace flash:<name of file>.  It sometimes

works but I am seeing issues were the current one is not loaded and the process is aborted.

Could use some help on this matter.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeff

We do not have much to work with here other than your statement that sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work. When it does not work are there any messages created? Do you have an active session to the console when you try this (and is logging to the console enabled)? When it did not work have you verified that it specified the correct file name? And verified that the file was accessible and readable?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

I have three 3560x switches that are currently active.  On the first switch after I enter the command, the running-configuration file is replaced successfully from flash.  The message states:

Total number of passes:2
Rollback done

Show running-configuration command verifies the replacement.

On the second switch:

List of rollback commands

no VLAN 45,100
VLAN 40-45,100
End
Rollback aborted after 5 passes

However the replacement configuration file was actually replaced but did not include the above line item VLAN 40-45,100 in it.

On the third switch

States: The rollback configlet from the last pass is listed below:
Below this it states:

!List of commands:
crypto pki certificate chain TP-self-signed......

Then a group of commands proceeded by no for example:

no interface Port-channel10
no switchport access vlan 45

Etc.

Rollback aborted after 5 passes.

Show running-configuration verified this time that the current configuration file was not replaced.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately I do not have additional insight into the problem. I wonder if the items suggested by Flavio might apply here? Perhaps you might open a case with Cisco TAC?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

I found something out on my quest to get this function to work.  I cannot explain why it works but

this is what I have.  I have two configurations that are saved in flash. Both configurations are different

in their operations.  The first configuration uses VLAN 45,100.  VLAN 100 is used as the administration one (instead of VLAN 1).  VLAN 45 is used for data.

The second configuration uses VLANS 40-45,100.  The VLANS are used as the same above.

What I have discovered using the command:configure replace flash:<filename> that the declared VLANS have to written in both configurations in order for the rollback to be successful!!  In other words

VLANS 40-45,100 must be in both configurations even though VLANS 40-44 are not used in the

first configuration!!

This has been proven several times to include another switch (same model).  The rollback simply will not work unless the same VLANS are declared in both configurations.

I have no explanation on why this so.  I hope someone else can verify what I am seeing to help others with the same issue!!

Thanks.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for the update. I am not sure about why there is this behavior but it sure looks like you have identified what the behavior is. So +5 for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi

This may help you:

"

The format of the configuration files used as input by the Configuration Replace and Configuration Rollback feature must comply with standard Cisco software configuration file indentation rules as follows:

• Start all commands on a new line with no indentation, unless the command is within a configuration submode.

• Indentcommands within a first-level configuration submode one space.I

• Indentcommands within a second-level configuration submode two spaces.

• Indentcommands within subsequent submodes accordingly.

These indentation rules describe how the software creates configuration files for such commands as show running-config or copy running-config destination-url. Any configuration file generated on a Cisco device complies with these rules."

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I too have had issues using it on various platforms. I suspect it might be somewhat buggy feature.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card