Views
Helpful
Replies

right procedure for change vss ios from modular to monolithic

mcusine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will change one IOS from modular to monolithic. I want to know how is the best procedure for change de IOS.

I know that it's not possible to run one cahssis of the VSS with modular and other chassis with monolithic.

The only valid option it's :

a) copy new image to sup-bootdisk:

b) copy new image to slavesup-bootdisk:

c) no boot system

d) config-register 0x2102 (opcional)

e) boot system flash sup-bootflash:s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI6.bin

f) wr

h) Reload both chassis

Any other solution that cause less down time?.

Thanks and best regards,

Mauricio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bert Gevers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Modular IOS and monolithic IOS do not support synchronizing their states with eachother.  Therefore, you can't run a VSS with modular IOS on one device and monolithic on a different one.

This also means that you can't have a preloaded state (like SSO or RPR) between these software versions and the only way to change between the different software versions is to perform a full reload of the VSS (using the 'reload' command) after changing the boot variable.

In theory, it may be possible to reduce the downtime by powering down one chassis, removing the VSL and powering the chassis back up (possibly with removal of dual-active detection before you start the IOS change) and then powering down the other chassis just prior to the other chassis finishing booting, reconnecting the VSL and powering it back up.

However, such procedure clearly introduces several risks (eg. dual-active / human intervention / ...) and is clearly not supported nor recommended.

HTH,

Bert

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bert Gevers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Modular IOS and monolithic IOS do not support synchronizing their states with eachother.  Therefore, you can't run a VSS with modular IOS on one device and monolithic on a different one.

This also means that you can't have a preloaded state (like SSO or RPR) between these software versions and the only way to change between the different software versions is to perform a full reload of the VSS (using the 'reload' command) after changing the boot variable.

In theory, it may be possible to reduce the downtime by powering down one chassis, removing the VSL and powering the chassis back up (possibly with removal of dual-active detection before you start the IOS change) and then powering down the other chassis just prior to the other chassis finishing booting, reconnecting the VSL and powering it back up.

However, such procedure clearly introduces several risks (eg. dual-active / human intervention / ...) and is clearly not supported nor recommended.

HTH,

Bert

Thanks Bert.

I suspect that I have only one way to do. The reload WAY!!!.

Mauricio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card