cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP database showing auto-summary

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I have a customer whom has a 3550 switch running IP routing.

The switch receives RIP updates from two edge routers. These routers are simply sending default routes to the switch.

For whatever reason, when I look at the switch and do a "sho ip rip database", it gives me the following output:

bhiedge#sho ip rip data

172.16.0.0/16 auto-summary

172.16.1.0/24 directly connected, Vlan3

This looks awkward to me, as hte only networks configured to RIP are the 172.16.1.0, not the 172.16.0.0, so I am not sure why is shows this on the switch.

thx

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are running RIPv2, auto-summary is turned on by default. You need to isse a no auto-summary command under the RIP process.

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

in addition remember that RIP is a classful protocol.

Thanks

Mahmood

I have checked that auto-summary entry's doesn't go even if you configure no auto-summary command.

Please rate if it helps.

thanks

You are correct.

I put a "no auto-summary under my global rip statement.

It still shows "auto-summary" when I perform a "sho ip rip data" command.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Check to make sure that "Version 2" is also in your "router rip" configuration.

If "version 2 is there, you will also need "no auto-summary"

You can also go to each interface and define how you want RIP to operate (send version 2, receive version 1 .... )

Good Luck

Scott

Hi ScottMac

Thanks for your reply and great to have your post to this topic. I configured rip ver 2 and no auto-summary. I ckecked it again in router's it still shows that summary route in rip database.

Hope this could be an error or just RIP doesn't send summary route when we configure no auto-summary.

Need your input on it.

thanks

kamlesh

How have you entered the "Network" statements for each net/subnet?

Please post your 'Router RIP" section, and list the interfaces and addresses for "this" router, and the other routers it is connected to.

An out put from a "sh ip route" would be a good thing too.

Thanks

Scott

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card