Views
Helpful
Replies

route multiple vlans

anirudh.wna
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

i have 12 vlans configured on a 3560 L3 switch and this is trunked to  7 L2 2960 switches. this stack is in a different block. i need to route all these vlans to another core switch from which it will going to firewall and through. do i need to create separate static routes  for all vlans to the core switch? is there a way to route them all together to the core switch ip address which will be on a different network..  please advice how to go about it?

3560 -->  coreswitch --> firewall

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If the 3560 is layer-3 and you are terminating your 12 vlan SVIs on it, then you just need a layer-3 routed port with a /30 subnet to the core and have a default route on the 3560 pointing to the core.  Or you can use EIGRP or OSPF between the 3560 and the core with all SVIs added to that routing protocol.

HTH

View solution in original post

Hi,

yes this is correct provided this physical interface is connected to the core.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If the 3560 is layer-3 and you are terminating your 12 vlan SVIs on it, then you just need a layer-3 routed port with a /30 subnet to the core and have a default route on the 3560 pointing to the core.  Or you can use EIGRP or OSPF between the 3560 and the core with all SVIs added to that routing protocol.

HTH

hi,

"then you just need a layer-3 routed port with a /30 subnet to the core  and have a default route on the 3560 pointing to the core."

sorry if i sound toooo dumb all i need to do is;

step 1. choose a physical interface and issue the no switchport cmd on it and also assign one of the two  the /30 subnet ip.

step2. go to global conf mode and issue  the

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 

Hi,

yes this is correct provided this physical interface is connected to the core.

Regards

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card