Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing L2 traffic via L3 switch back into L2 switch

Hi,

I've got a core switch, 3850, layer 3, and a Cisco 2960 access switch, layer 2. I have a host on the 2960, that I want to communicate with another host on the same 2960, but on a separate VLAN. I have a trunk between the two switches, so that both hosts can communicate with their native gateways. IP routing is turned on, so both hosts can talk across gateways.

However at the moment the hosts cannot ping one another. Both hosts are able to ping all hosts sitting on the layer 3 switch including all gateways and vice versa, however hosts sitting on different vlans on the 2960 cannot ping each other. ie. They are not using the gateways on the L3 switch to communicate back via the trunk.

I've attached a crude drawing to illustrate the setup.

If anyone can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So from a client in vlan 11 you can -

ping any other host in vlan 11 on either switch ?

ping both the SVI for vlan 11 and the SVI for vlan 12 

ping a client in vlan 12 on the 3850 but not a client in vlan 12 on the 2960 ?

And from the 3850 using vlan 11 as the source in your pings you can -

ping the vlan 11 client

ping a vlan 12 client on the 2960 switch ?

Jon

bring here config of 3850 and access switches .  do sho ip int brie -make sure SVI interfaces are up , sho int trunk - ur vlans are allowed ,  check ip of PCs and correct GW IP , can they ping it .. trunk must be programmed with the same  settings on both sides , on 3850 and 2960 if they are con-d with trunk .

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card