Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing with Cisco 6504 E and 4506

ITexpert
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Guys,

My company just buy building with Infrastsructure which is having 2 6504 E as core switches and 4506 connected with it access layer switches. all access layer switches connected with SFP ports to core switches (one port to each 6504 E switch).

The changes i did.

I just Factory reset all and make all ports switchport.

I connect First core switch with Firewall. and all PCs are working now as default gateway is Firewall.

I give the IP addresses to vlan 1 and configure ssh to remotely do changes.

Now i can ping all the switches if i am connected with any of switches but i cannot ping from other facility.  Firewall have static routes and its working. If i assign same IP to PC its pingable from other site.

When i configure static routes on both core towards firewall then i can ping the core switches but still not access layer switches.

Question : Do i have to configure static route on each switch ? I just want to configure the access switches as L2 and already configure command with default gateway towards the core switch.

Please advice ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It is Fixed now , The 4506 by default is in L3 mode, I just manual change to L2 mode. Its all good now.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- But in essence L2 switches and routing solutions are unrelated to each other; the only thing that matters is that they get a unique address on the vlan , that they are intended to be reachable from. If that Vlan is routed outside the intranet , then 1) -> this is not recommended 2) It can be done, but the only left over is that the firewall must allow access to a particular switch/Network (from the outside). 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

It is Fixed now , The 4506 by default is in L3 mode, I just manual change to L2 mode. Its all good now.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card