Views
Helpful
Replies

RSPAN Load Balance

Enrico
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody! I go straight to the problem I'm facing:
I need to send a data stream via RSPAN to a remote device for traffic analysis. Because of the large amount of data (>1Gbps) I need to put the remote VLAN, which carries the RSPAN traffic, on an etherchannel and to load-balance that traffic among the members of the etherchannel.
The problem is that it seems that there's no algorithm I can use to load-balance the RSPAN traffic. The device I'm using  is a Cisco 3750 switch, so no per-packet load balancing algorithm is available (and I think that, even if I could use this technique, I would encounter some sort of out-of-sequence packets issue).
Is there a way to efficiently load balance a RSPAN traffic on an etherchannel?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Enrico,

I did some more digging and looks like its a limitation.

SPAN and RSPAN traffic will always take first available port in the bundle so no load balancing.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Enrico,

Etherchannel will perform load balancing as per the selected hashing algorithm. In 3750 default is src-mac address so it will only check the source mac-address of RSPAN traffic while performing load balancing across etherchannel. So you may change it to a more granular value, available options are provided in link below:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1276203

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Thank you rajeevsh,I already tried to set different configurations, but unfortunately it seems like RSPAN traffic is not affected by etherchannel hashing algorithms.

Hey Enrico,

I did some more digging and looks like its a limitation.

SPAN and RSPAN traffic will always take first available port in the bundle so no load balancing.

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Thank you rajeevsh, I thought something like that. I will think about some workaround...

Thank you for your interest on the matter,

Bye!

I have this problem too. Any idea, workaround or something?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card