Helpful
Replies

rspan

Bob Greer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

Thanks for reading.

I have a DBA who's complaining about backups.  On an unpredictable schedule, the server loses sight of the SAN.  They've asked for a packet capture but I'm not sure how to accomplish this.  I'm suggesting a laptop attached to a mirrored port capturing a pcap stream until the issue re-occurs but maybe there's a more graceful way to capture?

Thanks again!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

What you are suggesting makes sense and it will work. If you guys use splunk then that would be even better. 

We had similar issue in my previous job and where DBAs would complain losing connection during a back schedule to netapp. We tried telling them that if there is a connectivity issue to storage then it should affect everyone ( all the VMs lived on netapp) and not just 1 server. If it's only affecting a couple of servers randomly then most likely the issue is on the server side. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

What you are suggesting makes sense and it will work. If you guys use splunk then that would be even better. 

We had similar issue in my previous job and where DBAs would complain losing connection during a back schedule to netapp. We tried telling them that if there is a connectivity issue to storage then it should affect everyone ( all the VMs lived on netapp) and not just 1 server. If it's only affecting a couple of servers randomly then most likely the issue is on the server side. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card