Views
Helpful
Replies

rstp and hello bpdu

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody.

I have been reading this book for my switch exam which is full of errors thus I find the book personally very unreliable. For example, my book says hello bpdu are sent out every port in rstp regardless if the switch receives a bpdu from root bridge or not.  I just want to confirm that. I have been searching for any document corroborating the book statement.

Could anyone please clearfy this ?

thanks and have a great weekend

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kamran_Roostaee
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sarahr

in STP non-root bridge only generates BPDUs when it receives one on the root port but in RSTP non-root bridge sends a BPDU with its current information every hello-time seconds (2 by default), even if it does not receive any from the root bridge so in RSTP If a bridge fails to receive BPDUs from a neighbor, it suppose that the connection to that neighbor is lost but in STP if bridge fails to recieve BPDUs from a neighbor, problem might have been anywhere on the path to the root.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

kamran_Roostaee
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Sarahr

in STP non-root bridge only generates BPDUs when it receives one on the root port but in RSTP non-root bridge sends a BPDU with its current information every hello-time seconds (2 by default), even if it does not receive any from the root bridge so in RSTP If a bridge fails to receive BPDUs from a neighbor, it suppose that the connection to that neighbor is lost but in STP if bridge fails to recieve BPDUs from a neighbor, problem might have been anywhere on the path to the root.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card