cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

running debug on Cisco switch

afsharki2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I would like to run a debug on a switch that is having PoE issues.  

My question is:  when i run the debug, how come I don't see anything?  I don't see any debugs populating my screen.  Where do they all go?  I know for sure it works because I've seen a co-worker do it.    

Also, does anyone have any advice on debugging for first timers? 

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 I would like to run a debug on a switch that is having power issues.

Power as in PoE or raw power?

Debug on raw power doesn't work.

Hey Leo,

Sorry, I should've been more clear.  Yes, I meant PoE.  

Yes, I meant PoE. 

PoE.  What is the exact model of the switch used and tell us, in more detail, the problem(s) being encountered.  If there are any log messages, so much the better.

Have you tried running TDR on the port(s)?  

Sorry, for the super late response.  My question was leaning more towards how to use debug commands in general.  Why is it that times when running a debug, I can't see it live on my screen.  How do I get into Term monitor and how do i get out?  Will term monitor fill up my logs with the debugs?  Kinda just wanted a small couple sentence summary of how to initiate, control and end a debug?...and how to use it in term monitor

Thanks

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hello, I would like to run a debug on a switch that is having power issues.  My question is:  when i run the debug, how come I don't see anything?  I don't see any debugs populating my screen.  Where do they all go?  I know for sure it works because I've seen a co-worker do it.    Also, does anyone have any advice on debugging for first timers? Thanks

Hello,

Either try below configuration :-

logging console 7

logging buffer deb

end

wr

By doing above you can see the logs by show logg command (buffer)  or  when you are connected via console.  If you are connected to the machine via TTY then configure logging monitor 7.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Ok, thanks.  Is there a way to view the debug, live, without it going into the logs.  In a way where the logs won't get filled up with debugs?  I thought my co-worker said there is a way to do it in terminal monitor.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

conf t

line vty 0 4

Logging monitor

term mon

Should see log output on vty session.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card