Views
Helpful
Replies

rx tx inverted

nokoya001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am using WS-C3550-48 and trying to simple thing by transfer file from server a(fa0/1) to server b(fa0/2). When I take a look the traffic with "sh int fa0/1 sum", this shows rx amount raising and in other part when I run "sh int fa0/2 sum" this shows tx amount raising.

Both using straight through cable, any clue ?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I think your understanding about RX/TX is wrong here. 

From the switch point of view, the switch is receiving the file(RX) from Server A on Fa0/1.

Once switch determines that the traffic (file) need to reach Server B on Fa0/2, it transmits (TX) over Fa0/2. Does it make sense ?

If not imagine both your hands as Fa0/1 and Fa0/2 and you in the middle as Switch itself.

You are receving something on your right hand(RX) (imagin FA0/1), once receieved, you decide to hand over it OUT (TX)through left hand (Fa0/2).... 

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Madhu

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How are you trying to transfer the file?  Tftp? ....

getting an error message?

can you ping the server?

servers on same vlan?  

Different vlan?

Server blocking access?  Firewall?

How are you trying to transfer the file?  Tftp? ....

just ftp 

> getting an error message?

No, ftp running fine and files delivered to destination

> can you ping the server?

Ofcourse yes

servers on same vlan?

Yes same vlan

Hi,

transfer file from server a(fa0/1) to server b(fa0/2).

This means for Fa0/1 ---> traffic will be RX from Server A - Expected

for Fa0/2 --> The file is being send towards from Switch port to Server B -- Expected.

So i don't think you have a problem.  Please clarify if you still have questions.

Hope this helps and rate all useful posts.

Thanks,

Madhu.

I don't get it, fa0/1 transfer/tx/transmitted file to fa0/2. So fa0/1 tx should be increase. isn't it normally work like that ?

Hi,

I think your understanding about RX/TX is wrong here. 

From the switch point of view, the switch is receiving the file(RX) from Server A on Fa0/1.

Once switch determines that the traffic (file) need to reach Server B on Fa0/2, it transmits (TX) over Fa0/2. Does it make sense ?

If not imagine both your hands as Fa0/1 and Fa0/2 and you in the middle as Switch itself.

You are receving something on your right hand(RX) (imagin FA0/1), once receieved, you decide to hand over it OUT (TX)through left hand (Fa0/2).... 

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Madhu

Aha, if that logic works like that, I am in wrong perception then.

Thank you for correcting me.

@Madhukrishnan, is it possible to make it like normal hub. fa0/1 will detect server A transfer file as tx(without set the port to no switchport) ?

Thanks in advanced

Hi Nokoya,

Sorry, i did not understand your question.  Could you please explain little more.

Thanks,

Madhu.

I am trying to get storm-control running. But with this condition, it does not work.

So I have to make it to be when server A(fa0/1) send file to server B(fa0/2), on interface summary, fa0/1 it show increasing of tx and fa0/2 show increasing of rx.

Thanks in advanced

I think that will not work. Even if you attempt make it as a hub, it won' send the packets it received on Fa0/1 back to it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: