cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sanity check on VSS configuration

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

I have been doing my research and still have a few questions on a VSS configuration.

Background:

I'm adding a VSS pair to a network that trunks to a pair of Nexus 7000's. There is already a VSS pair connected to the 7000's that someone else installed. I'll be using the Ten Gig interfaces on the Sup cards for the VSL.

Configuration:

From what I understand I'll need to issue the following commands to pair the 2 switches in virtual mode:

Switch 1

(config mode) switch virtual domain 101 

(config mode) switch 1

(config mode) interface port-channel 10

(config mode) switch virtual link 1

(config mode) no shut

(config mode) int range ten1/5/4 - 5

(config mode)channel-group 10 mode on

(config mode)no shut

(enable mode) switch convert mode virtual

Switch 2

(config mode) switch virtual domain 101 

(config mode) switch 2

(config mode) interface port-channel 10

(config mode) switch virtual link 1

(config mode) no shut

(config mode) int range ten1/5/4 - 5

(config mode)channel-group 10 mode on

(config mode)no shut

(enable mode) switch convert mode virtual

Reasoning:

I'm using port-channel 10 to keep the configuration consistent with the original VSS pair's configuration. I know it's not a big deal but it makes documentation and trouble shooting easier if we maintain a standard.

I named the switch virtual domain 101 because the original pair has a domain number of 100 and I read it needs to be unique. I don't know why since it seems like a indentifier that is only local to the pair. I would guess it's to keep physical cable patching issues from being a huge problem in case someone mistakenly cross connects a 100 domain switch to a 101 domain switch.

Yes it's all new equipment and I can open a TAC case but I find the people here just as helpful and sometimes even more so for things like this.

Does this look right? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Roland

4 Replies 4

loworderbit
Level 1
Level 1

I've only done vss with 6500's.  With them I added the following commands:

VSS(config-vs-domain)# mac-address use-virtual   

VSS(config-if)#port-channel port hash-distribution    #In interface config for a specific port channel for the VSL

The first command derives a virtual mac that is not hardware dependant and allows you to move your supervisors to other vss domains without conufusing things.  The second, from what I understand, allows you to add/remove links from the VSL without (?) traffic loss.

Perhaps this is all moot with the Nexus...

Later

Loworderbit, thanks for the input. I saw that in the documentation but noticed the virtual MAC isn't in the current VSS pair we have so I am going to leave it out. I'm trying to figure out why it's not there but things are working so I probably won't add it.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The channel group number should be different for each switch

switch 1

channel-group 10

switch 2

channel-group 20

Here is the config guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html

HTH

Reza, thanks for catching that. Yes I have that config guide but didn't catch that. I also used a white paper from somewhere here on this site.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card