cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sanity check on VSS configuration

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

I have been doing my research and still have a few questions on a VSS configuration.

Background:

I'm adding a VSS pair to a network that trunks to a pair of Nexus 7000's. There is already a VSS pair connected to the 7000's that someone else installed. I'll be using the Ten Gig interfaces on the Sup cards for the VSL.

Configuration:

From what I understand I'll need to issue the following commands to pair the 2 switches in virtual mode:

Switch 1

(config mode) switch virtual domain 101 

(config mode) switch 1

(config mode) interface port-channel 10

(config mode) switch virtual link 1

(config mode) no shut

(config mode) int range ten1/5/4 - 5

(config mode)channel-group 10 mode on

(config mode)no shut

(enable mode) switch convert mode virtual

Switch 2

(config mode) switch virtual domain 101 

(config mode) switch 2

(config mode) interface port-channel 10

(config mode) switch virtual link 1

(config mode) no shut

(config mode) int range ten1/5/4 - 5

(config mode)channel-group 10 mode on

(config mode)no shut

(enable mode) switch convert mode virtual

Reasoning:

I'm using port-channel 10 to keep the configuration consistent with the original VSS pair's configuration. I know it's not a big deal but it makes documentation and trouble shooting easier if we maintain a standard.

I named the switch virtual domain 101 because the original pair has a domain number of 100 and I read it needs to be unique. I don't know why since it seems like a indentifier that is only local to the pair. I would guess it's to keep physical cable patching issues from being a huge problem in case someone mistakenly cross connects a 100 domain switch to a 101 domain switch.

Yes it's all new equipment and I can open a TAC case but I find the people here just as helpful and sometimes even more so for things like this.

Does this look right? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Roland

4 Replies 4

loworderbit
Level 1
Level 1

I've only done vss with 6500's.  With them I added the following commands:

VSS(config-vs-domain)# mac-address use-virtual   

VSS(config-if)#port-channel port hash-distribution    #In interface config for a specific port channel for the VSL

The first command derives a virtual mac that is not hardware dependant and allows you to move your supervisors to other vss domains without conufusing things.  The second, from what I understand, allows you to add/remove links from the VSL without (?) traffic loss.

Perhaps this is all moot with the Nexus...

Later

Loworderbit, thanks for the input. I saw that in the documentation but noticed the virtual MAC isn't in the current VSS pair we have so I am going to leave it out. I'm trying to figure out why it's not there but things are working so I probably won't add it.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The channel group number should be different for each switch

switch 1

channel-group 10

switch 2

channel-group 20

Here is the config guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html

HTH

Reza, thanks for catching that. Yes I have that config guide but didn't catch that. I also used a white paper from somewhere here on this site.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card