Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

saving my config file on flash or nvram and using it when booting up

Hi,

I have 2 questions about it:

1.-  I can't save a customized config file (let's name it my-config) onto nvram. I mean, I try to execute the command: 
"copy running-config nvram:my-config"
and it prompts %Error copying nvram:my-config (Invalid argument)
Is it a way to do this?

2.-  Which command allows you to load a config file different from the nvram:startup-config, as another file stored on the nvram or on the flash memory?
I have been doing some research myself and I have found the command "boot host", but I can't make it work neither from nvram nor from flash.

Is there any way to get it?

Kind Regards,

9 Replies 9

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

1. Startup-config is stored on NVRAM after device boots up. So there is already startup-config that's you cannot to replace with another file. Unless there is another value in CONFIG_FILE variable. If I'm not wrong.

2. To change startup-config to other file:

boot config flash:my-config

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/configfun/configuration/guide/fccfgfil.html#wp4075

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Hi Abzal,

I have been doing some research and the command  "boot config" is only available on the c7200 platform.

The problem is that I would like to change the config file when booting up  on a c2600 platform.

So I would like to know if there is any option to get this with a config file different from startup-config, stored either on nvram or on flash?

Kind Regards,

sammy_bibs
Level 1
Level 1

Running config is stored in NVRAM is it not, to save different config files try;

#Copy run flash:config-file-name

Yes its correct to use;

#Boot config flash:config-file-name

You can load a config into the current running config, but this does merge the two together so I would advise against it.

#Copy flash:config-file-name run

I believe there is an override option, use the ? help.

Sam.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi Sam,

You are right about the "boot config" file, but this command is only allowed on the c7200 platform routers.

But I am working on the c1800 and c2600 platforms, so this command does not apply.

So far I know it is possible to store another config file (let's call it my-config-file) on flash.

And now I would like to use this file as a config-file when booting up.

Do you know some way to do this?

Kind Regards,

Hi Pedro,

It should work on other platoforms too. This command is introduced on 11.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/command/reference/frf007.html#wp1027545

Here is a capture from 1800 router

1800-6#sh ver | inc bytes|.bin

System image file is "flash:c1841c-advipservicesk9-mz.150-1.M5.bin"

Cisco CISCO1841C/K9 (revision 7.0) with 237568K/24576K bytes of memory.

191K bytes of NVRAM.

126000K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

1800-6(config)#boot config ?

flash:  URL of the config file

nvram:  URL of the config file

Thanks

Raju

Hi Raju,

Thanks for this info. I see you are working with  a 15.0 series  IOS. The thing is I don't have access to a c1800 now but I know the IOS I work with on the c1800 platform is a 12.4 series, so I will check out if the command "boot config" is available in that particular IOS.

As per the other platforms, I have tried some of them, such as c2600, c2691 and c3700, and this command is not implemented, as you can see on the following example (valid for those 3 platforms):

R1(config)#boot ?

bootstrap    Bootstrap image file

host             Router-specific config file   

network       Network-wide config file

system        System image file

Therefore, I would like to know if there is an alternative way to set the config file, particularily on platform c2600.

Kind Regards,

Hi,
If it didn't work for you then I can only suggest you just copy config to nvram to replace startup config.

copy startup flash:backup.cfg
copy flash:myconfig nvram:startup-config

Hope it will help.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Best regards,
Abzal

Hi Abzal,

That might be a solution, but in order to implement my original idea of loading a config file different from startup-config, is there any other option from the command boot config, such as changing some ROM variable to force loading that particular config file?

Kind Regards,

sofiane7704
Level 1
Level 1

This is old but the command should be  boot system  flash:...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card