cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Security / firmware concerns SG200-8

alQamar
Level 1
Level 1

Recently we received a new firmware for the SG300-x that fixed security issues.
see download page: https://software.cisco.com/download/cart?imageguid=B29B7AD6615818752B8DB38FA98FCAE1950BC642&emailclick=CNSemail

I understand that the SG200 is not a routing capable switch and might not use IOS but I am severly concerned there are NO updates for this device since 2014 and I cannot imagine this smart switch is free of issues or security concerns or improvments (TLS 1.2 / TLS 1.3 support for Webserver) etc.

See download page

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283454003/type/282463182/release/1.0.8.3

As I do not have a service contract I would like to raise this concern here and hope to find answers why the SG 200 series went unpatched.

Not mentioning there are at least interoperational issues (frame / packet fragmentation) when using jumboframes 8k with SG200 and SG300 in the uplink which is sad enough, since Cisco same vendor switching should not giving troubles with jumboframe implementation.

Usecase: Backup, Hyper-V Migrations on Windows 10 Pro. 

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per SG200 concern (This product is supported by Cisco, but is no longer being sold.) - look at the cisco website product document, it's like any other product in the market for the support  - once the product not longer selling the development stops, 

tatus End of Sale
Release Date 18-JAN-2011
End-of-Sale Date 10-MAY-2018
End-of-Support Date

31-MAY-2023

These are pure Layer 2, so I would not expect these exposed to any external world for security reason, there may be other product more focused security features. until 2023 it may be hardware replace if support there. 

I understand your concern, they should have some security fix, sometimes rather fixing buying new model cost less with new features added for the next generation.

I also made note of your point  other vendor give much flexibility (agree with you here) hence  the decision required what product to choose for business, 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card