Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Server Connecting Switch

Hi,

Can some geek explain the Switch requirements which is mandatory to connect a server. i have come across some requirements like,

1. non-blocking architecture

2. forwarding rate

3. 1gig ethernet port

Please tell me what else is required to find a exact switch. Whether the presales or application developing poeple decides the amount of traffic/load a server can generate? what is the mechanism used to find the amount of traffic a server can generate.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

IAN WHITMORE
Level 4
Level 4

There is nothing really mandatory. It must suit the company's needs though. For example you wouldn't but a switch with 100mb ports if the server has a 1gb port. So compatibility is more important.

Look out for:

1. Server port speed settings. Especially if it's 1gb or more.

2. Server port type. Copper? FIbre?

3. How many ports do you require?

4. Is this a core server?

5. How much traffic do you expect on this port? And on the switch as a whole?

6. What switches do you have in mind? 3750X? 4500? 6500?

7. Budget.

Of course most modern day switches are capable of handling millions of packets per second so throughput is not normally a problem.

HTH,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info. I hope 3560/3750X & 2960 series are ideal for servers since they have non-blocking arch. In this case if i connect 24 servers in a same switch, can this switch forward the data efficiently out or it will choke ? I am confused on that forwarding rate part 

It shouldn't be a problem. Just for information, in our network core we have 20+ 2960 for server "access" which is turn go to a pair of 3750 "aggregation" which in turn go to a pair of 6500. Now our CORE servers (blade architecture) go direct to the 6500.

But under normal conditions it should be fine.

HTH,

Ian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco