Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up 1gig Link between two sites

Ven Diesel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We are having two sites seperated by half a mile and we are using dedicated 100 Meg link at the moment for intranet traffic, and now we got new 1 gig link and I am working to set it up, Service Provider came on site installed two circuits on both sites and fiber connectivity is tested succesfully betweeen sites, now I need to connect the circuits to our network and  make the 1 gig link active to make traffic flow between sites and as well bring 100 meg as standby.

So to brief the issue:

Connectivity at the moment SiteA: Switch1(3560)------100Meg--------.SiteB: Switch 2(3560)

I Want to configure SiteA: Switch 3(4507)------1gig (Active)--------.SiteB: Switch 4(3560)

SiteA: Switch1(3560)------100Meg(Standby)--------.SiteB: Switch 2(3560)

So can you please tell me is that simple as connecting a fiber or ethernet link from external circuit on both sites to respective switches on their interfaces and configuring hsrp to enable redundancy. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ven

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ven Diesel wrote:

Hi Darren

Much appreciate for your time and assistance, sorry i missed the main bit so it is a non routed link dot 1 q trunk at both ends

Many Thanks

Ven

The fact that you terminate the two different speed links on two different switches at each end make this a bit tricky - assuming the 4507 & 3560 at SiteA are linked together somehow, and the two 3560's at SiteB are linked together somehow, spanning tree *should* put one of the links into blocking mode - but you might have to tweak the spanning tree configuration a bit to make sure the correct link (the 100 meg) goes into blocking mode. I've not done much with tweaking spanning-tree this way, so maybe someone else can point you in the right direction - but it shouldn't be too difficult to make this work.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Ven Diesel wrote:

Hi

We are having two sites seperated by half a mile and we are using dedicated 100 Meg link at the moment for intranet traffic, and now we got new 1 gig link and I am working to set it up, Service Provider came on site installed two circuits on both sites and fiber connectivity is tested succesfully betweeen sites, now I need to connect the circuits to our network and  make the 1 gig link active to make traffic flow between sites and as well bring 100 meg as standby.

So to brief the issue:

Connectivity at the moment SiteA: Switch1(3560)------100Meg--------.SiteB: Switch 2(3560)

I Want to configure SiteA: Switch 3(4507)------1gig (Active)--------.SiteB: Switch 4(3560)

SiteA: Switch1(3560)------100Meg(Standby)--------.SiteB: Switch 2(3560)

So can you please tell me is that simple as connecting a fiber or ethernet link from external circuit on both sites to respective switches on their interfaces and configuring hsrp to enable redundancy. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ven

Really need more information. How are the links configured? Are they routed (IP Addres at each end) or non-routed (dot1q trunk or access port at each end)?

Cheers.

Ven Diesel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Darren

Much appreciate for your time and assistance, sorry i missed the main bit so it is a non routed link dot 1 q trunk at both ends

Many Thanks

Ven

Ven Diesel wrote:

Hi Darren

Many Thanks

Ven

The fact that you terminate the two different speed links on two different switches at each end make this a bit tricky - assuming the 4507 & 3560 at SiteA are linked together somehow, and the two 3560's at SiteB are linked together somehow, spanning tree *should* put one of the links into blocking mode - but you might have to tweak the spanning tree configuration a bit to make sure the correct link (the 100 meg) goes into blocking mode. I've not done much with tweaking spanning-tree this way, so maybe someone else can point you in the right direction - but it shouldn't be too difficult to make this work.

Cheers.

In this case it would be easiest to ensure that the 4507 becomes stp root. However, as we do not know the rest of your network we can't say whether this would be a viable solution. It all depends on the location of the 4507 in your network.

If possible a better solution would be to introduce Layer 3 into the picture. Routing enables faster failover than STP. It even makes it possible to use both links simultaniously without introducing loops.

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

HSRP would work if you want to have one primary and one secondary link. 

Physical connection is the same as any.  It is how you route to the switch, default-gateway, that is how you get to the correct exit point.

Hi Guys

Firstly thanks a ton for all your valuable feedback,

So I tried all the testing in lab and based on dependencies of our network and cosnidering the loops by stp,  I am planning to connect the 1gig links as well to the same switches(3560) which are carrying the exisisting 100 meg link on copper ports, additionally I want to use fiber links for 1gig link and enable udld as well.

I will get back to you how it goes and please let me know if I am missing anyhting here.

Cheers

Ven Diesel
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks again guys, links are working perfect

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card