cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SF 100D-08 Unmanaged Switch Transfer Rate

mikedommett
Level 1
Level 1

I have just installed an SF 100D-08 - a small business 8 port unmanaged switch.  The intention is to speed up the transfer rate between my hard wired  computers and a Synology (DS209) server that I am running.  If I connect the Synology to a computer directly, then I get around 35MB/s transfer rate on a single, large file.  However, with both plugged into the Cisco switch, I only get around 17MB/s.  I am afraid I do not know where to start investigating this, so I hope someone is able to offer me some advice!

For reference, my router is a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT,  and this logs into an ADSL connection with PPPoE via a DrayTek Vigor 120 modem.  Everything on the LAN is on the same subnet, and the intention is to use the Cisco device for all hard wired connections and only to connect to the Linksys directly for wireless devices.  At the moment, however, all that is connected to the Cisco is the Synology, my main PC and a connection to the Linksys so that I can access the internet.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2 Replies 2

mikedommett
Level 1
Level 1

Wow, this is a busy forum!  Can I assume that this sort of technical issue would be best addressed directly to tech support?

Problem solved.  I am most disappointed with Cisco.  It took me a while to work out how to get any support with one of their technical support team.  Then she failed to offer any advice other than "return the unit".  Finally, someone on the Synology forums suggested changing the cables - problem solved.  However, *I was using the supplied cables*!  Cisco bundled two substandard (CAT5 rather than CAT5e) cables with the switch.  This is absurd!  I chose Cisco because they apparently have a reputation for serving businesses, and also because I had been happy with Linksys products in the past, but perhaps their standards are slipping.  I must have wasted a good few hours on this issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card