Views
Helpful
Replies

sh ip eigrp int

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

When i do sh ip eigrp int on main switch i see so many eigrp interfaces like vlan numbers and few gigabit interfaces.

When i check those vlans and physical interfaces they are mostly all admin down.

Main switch has only 2 eigrp neis.

My question is will it be safe to put those interfaces as passive interfaces under eigrp?

Also when int is admin down then even though we put its IP under network command it will not advertise to nei eigrp routers right?

Thanks

MAhesh.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Mahesh,

My question is will it be safe to put those interfaces as passive interfaces under eigrp?

If there are no EIGRP neighbors on these interfaces and you do not expect having any EIGRP neighbors on these interfaces in the future, configuring them as passive interfaces should be safe. Verify using the show ip eigrp neighbor that the current neighbors are on different interfaces than those you want to make passive.

Also when int is admin down then even though we put its IP under network  command it will not advertise to nei eigrp routers right?

That is correct. The network command causes only those directly connected networks to be advertised which are on interfaces in the up/up state.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

Hi Mahesh,

That is correct.  As Peter also noted, if you don't want that vlan to peer with another router, you can make it passive to save router resources.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Mahesh,

If there are no EIGRP neighbors on these interfaces and you do not expect having any EIGRP neighbors on these interfaces in the future, configuring them as passive interfaces should be safe. Verify using the show ip eigrp neighbor that the current neighbors are on different interfaces than those you want to make passive.

Also when int is admin down then even though we put its IP under network  command it will not advertise to nei eigrp routers right?

That is correct. The network command causes only those directly connected networks to be advertised which are on interfaces in the up/up state.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

One more thing to confirm if sh ip eigrp int shows a vlan

But i checked it has no peer and its int status is up up so i can put this int also as passive right?

Many thanks

MAhesh

Hi Mahesh,

That is correct.  As Peter also noted, if you don't want that vlan to peer with another router, you can make it passive to save router resources.

HTH

Reza

Hi Peter and Reza,

Many thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Its always good to confirm here with commounity before you do anything in production network.

Best regards

MAhesh

Hello Mahesh,

I am sure I am speaking for both me and Reza when I say that it is our pleasure to help. Thank you for giving us the opportunity.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

You are absolutely correct Sir.  We are always glad to help.

Thanks,

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco