cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shape 3560 for 10Meg Metro-E Internet Connection

chris.mccormick
Level 1
Level 1

I have been reading for awhile now on all the Cisco forums on the 3560 and shaping egress traffic but I wanted to verify my thoughts on this.  I have 3560 that connects to the ISP that is policing at 10Megs, I want to shape my egress traffic going to the ISP, I do not want to provided QOS to any specific traffic type but only shape all traffic outbound.  Will my config below shape "all" egress traffic going to the ISP on the 3560, on a port that is physically connect at 100Meg Full duplex?

int gi0/1

srr-queue bandwidth shape 40 40 40 40

I gathered these numbers using the formula of 100* 1/weight, which would equal 2.5 and if each queue has 2.5 meg that would = 10Meg.  However another concern is that I don't think I have the full 100Meg on the interface to use (correct?)

Thanks,

CM

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Chris,

Have you looked into the "bandwidth limit" command?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_55_se/commmand/reference/cli3.html#wp1947391

It's based off of a percentage. The drawback is that it limits everything going out of the port. If you have 100Mb port, your command would be "srr-queue bandwidth limit 10" and it will shape to 10% of the port capacity (10Mb).

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I did read a little on the "bandwidth limit" command but I found another forum, where people reported some issues.  Is using the bandwidth limit command better than the shape command?  What do you think of my shape command is it correct?

Here is where I found the forum talking ablout the limit command.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3021208#3021208

Thanks

CM

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The advantage of the bandwidth limit command, if you're going to use multiple queues, they would share the aggregate bandwidth.  If you shape as you intend, each queue would be limited to the amount of bandwidth it could utilize, even if more was available.

If you want to push all egress traffic into just one queue, then you might shape that one queue to your 10 Mbps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card