cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show Log - Administratively Down

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

When I manually shutdown an interface, the syslog message "administratively down" does not appear in the log. How can I correct this?

Thanks in advance.

ms-3722d-man-r1(config)#inter s6/1/0
ms-3722d-man-r1(config-if)#shut
ms-3722d-man-r1(config-if)#do sh log
Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 11 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns, xml disabled, filtering disabled)

No Active Message Discriminator.

Log Buffer (8192 bytes):

May 23 20:27:03: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 2020, Nbr 10.0.1.37 on Serial6/1/0 from FULL to DOWN, Neighbor Down: Interface down or detached
May 23 20:27:03: %PIM-5-NBRCHG: neighbor 10.0.252.9 DOWN on interface Serial6/1/0 non DR
ms-3722d-man-r1(config-if)#

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi David,

Just posting up a quick thought on the run. I'm not sure what platform you are running but some devices may have the logging of the event off as default.

You can have a look at

#logging event link-status

or similar config under the interface, or as a global toggle to switch on the event logging for interface status.

HTH

Eugene.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David,

The default is to log messages to the console.  May be it is turned off

So try this command and test again

config t

logging con

HTH

Nope. No luck. I need the syslog message "administratively down" so that I create a EEM script to perform certain tasks.

Hi David,

Just posting up a quick thought on the run. I'm not sure what platform you are running but some devices may have the logging of the event off as default.

You can have a look at

#logging event link-status

or similar config under the interface, or as a global toggle to switch on the event logging for interface status.

HTH

Eugene.

Thanks Eugene. That worked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco