Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple VLAN question

existhosting
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying something not sure if it can work or not. Here it is simply put.

I have a Cisco 3550 running an EMI image. It has a cross connect to a 2950T cisco switch. I am trying to put through VLAN 3 and 63 from the 3550 to the 2950, I usually do that using 802.1Q Trunk, but the specific port in the 2950 was set to STATIC access meaning it responds to ONE vlan. Now I want the 2950 port (meaning the server directly) seeing BOTH vlan 3 and 63, what settings do I need to put in the 3550 and 2950 so that the port on which the server is attached to will communicate on BOTH vlan at the same time??

Help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

20 Replies 20

If the server currently has an IP that belongs in Vlan63, then change the Vlan membership in the 2950 to Vlan63.

The server can't be in both Vlans at the same time unless you configure trunking at the switchport and the server NIC.

Hope that's clear enough.

yes but if I change it to Vlan 63 then the customer will lose the IP connectivity he had from VLAN 3 ...

What is (apart from the server's nic config) the way for that server to talk to BOTH VLAN3 and VLAN63 at the SAME time so he can migrate smoothly ?

Thank You

Can you explain the current server's NIC config ?

An IPCONFIG /ALL will be helpful.

Hello,

yes I can post that, the only thing is that those are Dedicated Server Customers and we do not have access to all the servers or want to manually configure over 300 servers and not all NIC will be the same, therefore we cannot rely on that solution.

We need a router/switch level solution, ANY solution, that will let us have both VLAN 3 and VLAN 63 IP's available for that server...

Anything that can be done with the 3550 and 2950 switches ???

Thanks

Anyone an answer on this please??

Thanks

Please make sure the link between 2950 switch and 3550 switch is configured as trunk, look for something like these:

switchport encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allow vlan 3,63

so that both vlans can traverse through to 3550 for the inter-vlan routing, on your 2950 access port which connects to the server, I am assuming it is currently configured something like this:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 3

and the server is configured with an IP address in vlan 3 subnet (for instance: x.x.60.3), when you are ready to move the server from vlan 3 to vlan 63, what you need to do is to make a configuration change on 2950 port which the server connects to:

switchport access vlan 63

then change the server NIC IP address to be one of IP address in vlan 63 subnet, as well as the default gateway

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card