cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2008 Vlan and trunking

Stein Rune Risa
Level 1
Level 1

I have two networks (TV and inet) that I want to connect through one cable to another room and then "split" them again.

The idea was:

Connect the cables from the home central box to each own port on a SLM2008. Connect another port on the switch to the cable that leads to the other room. Connect a SLM2008 to that cable end in that room. Connect the two devices (TV and PC) to ports on this second SLM2008.

I have been told by the TV/Inet provider that I need to use a switch with VLAN support to achieve this, but I was hoping that somebody could give me a clue on how to configure the VLAN to achieve this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tarquin Joseph
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm not sure of your topology so a diagram will help greatly.  I'll make an assumption that you have an SLM2008 in the room with the home central box and an SLM2008 in the room you want to split the networks again.

If the "TV" network you are speaking about is IP based then you will need to configure one additional VLAN for the "TV" network. Use the default VLAN for the PC network. See pg. 7 of the configuration guide available here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbss/slm2005_slm2008/administration/guide/SLM2005_SLM2008_V10_UG_A-Web.pdf.

Again on pg. 7 you find details to configure a port on each switch to support VLAN traffic for both the TV and the PC networks. Configure the ports (one per switch) to use "Acceptable Frame Type" as "all". Make sure the port for your link between rooms, on both switches is associated with the TV VLAN and that it is configured to accept tagged frames on this VLAN.  The Default VLAN (for PC network) will already be associated with the port.

You will also need to configure ports for the TV network devices on both switches:

Associate the ports with the TV VLAN but change the association type to untagged.  You should also set the PVID of the port the TV VLAN as well if that isn't done automatically.

I didn't have a clear view of the screenshots on the guide but this is typically how it's done with these types of gui interfaces.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Tarquin Joseph
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm not sure of your topology so a diagram will help greatly.  I'll make an assumption that you have an SLM2008 in the room with the home central box and an SLM2008 in the room you want to split the networks again.

If the "TV" network you are speaking about is IP based then you will need to configure one additional VLAN for the "TV" network. Use the default VLAN for the PC network. See pg. 7 of the configuration guide available here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbss/slm2005_slm2008/administration/guide/SLM2005_SLM2008_V10_UG_A-Web.pdf.

Again on pg. 7 you find details to configure a port on each switch to support VLAN traffic for both the TV and the PC networks. Configure the ports (one per switch) to use "Acceptable Frame Type" as "all". Make sure the port for your link between rooms, on both switches is associated with the TV VLAN and that it is configured to accept tagged frames on this VLAN.  The Default VLAN (for PC network) will already be associated with the port.

You will also need to configure ports for the TV network devices on both switches:

Associate the ports with the TV VLAN but change the association type to untagged.  You should also set the PVID of the port the TV VLAN as well if that isn't done automatically.

I didn't have a clear view of the screenshots on the guide but this is typically how it's done with these types of gui interfaces.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card