cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small switch with dot1Q-tunnel support

mathias
Level 1
Level 1

Which is the smallest/cheapest Cisco switch with dot1Q-tunnel support?

I'm looking for a suitable CPE to terminate a fiber with at a customer location, so it needs at least one SFP slot and one 1000Base-T port for q-tunnel handoff.

- Mat

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is that a "real" Cisco switch running IOS just like the bigger 2960s?

Does all 2960's running the LAN Image support dot1Q-tunnel, even the older 100M-models like

WS-C2960-24TC-L?

I've read the specs, but I can't find anything in there saying if it supports Q-tunneling or not

Searching for 802.1Q Tunneling feature in the Feature Navigator only lists 2960S at Platform which indicates that the smaller 2960 and 2960-C would not support it, and that's what I'm hoping for someone to confirm.

Thanks

Hi Mathias

I have similar issue with my WS-C2960+24TC-S    15.0(2)SE5           

C2960-LANLITEK9-M 

The weird thing is that on cisco feature navigator it says the Q in Q  IEEE 802.1 Tunneling is supported however i can't see the command on the interface

switchport mode dot1q-tunnel

Anyone can help please or confirm ?

Regards

Bernard

Is that a "real" Cisco switch running IOS just like the bigger 2960s?

Yes.

I just asked our Cisco partner about the 2960C and they first said it supported Q-in-Q, but when I then ordered it and they doublechecked with Cisco they came back and said, no it doesn't, the WS-C3560CG-8TC-S is the smallest switch with Q-in-Q support.

Have you actually used q-tunnel on the 2960C switch?

Q-in-Q support.

I must admit I mis-read your post.  When you mentioned dot1q tunneling I thought it was 802.1Q Trunking and I didn't realize you were talking about Q-in-Q.

Go to the Cisco Feature Navigator and go to Research Features. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: